January 12, 2022
Teaching and Learning Center supports your return to teaching this spring
Welcome to the spring 2022 semester! We hope you have been able to rest and recharge over the winter break. As you prepare for classes beginning next week, we remind you of several Teaching and Learning Center resources to support your return to the classroom, whether you are teaching in person, remotely or in a hy-flex modality.
● Empathetic course design involves infusing empathy into our courses to benefit both students and instructors. Our Empathetic Course Design Perspective video discusses how you can do this. This extends to course structure and policies, assignments and assessments, and even Zoom approaches.
● When constructing your syllabi, please consider adding the following:
Reviewing these statements during class is a great way to build community. You may also consider making a video overview for your syllabus, especially when teaching online.
● Remote teaching can be very challenging. In our Lecturing Into the Void video, we provide recommendations for creating engaging asynchronous content. In our Building Community in Hy-Flex Modalities video, we discuss how you can do this well.
● As we continue to deal with the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to remind you of our commitment to support a mindful return to campus in 2022. Our Mindful Returns Toolkit has several resources related to the following:
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Mental health
- Physical health
- Student success
We hope you take advantage of the resources provided by the Teaching and Learning Center. Please email us at the center if you have any questions or additional resources we should promote this semester. We hope this note finds you happy and healthy, and we wish you all the best as you enter the spring semester.