August 19, 2020
Education Abroad thanks faculty, staff for internationalizing K-State classrooms
Education Abroad recognizes and thanks the K-State faculty and staff who put forth tremendous effort to internationalize their classrooms with an education abroad experience. During the 2019-20 academic year, 52 faculty and staff developed courses that included international study tours. In collaboration with Education Abroad, these programs were developed in nearly every college at K-State, and at the K-State Polytechnic campus.
Regretfully, many programs were cut short or canceled this year due to COVID-19. Nevertheless, each faculty still worked tirelessly to incorporate an international experience into their course and encouraged students to explore their fields from an international perspective. Increasing student opportunities for learning abroad is a key element in the K-State 2025 Internationalization Strategic Action Plan, so we would like to take the time to recognize the faculty and staff who are moving the university toward reaching those benchmarks.
College of Agriculture
- Kraig Roozeboom, Agronomy International Study Tour in Costa Rica, spring break.
- Gaea Hock, Agriculture Education in Czech Republic, summer.
- Andrew Barkley and Mary Ellen Barkley, International Food and Agribusiness Study Tour of China, summer.
- Megan Rolf, Animal Science Study Tour of Japan, summer.
College of Architecture, Planning & Design
- Torgeir Norheim, Italian Studies Program, fall semester.
- Blake Belanger and Adriana Molina, Italian Studies Program, spring semester.
- Michael McGlynn, Italy and the Architectural Imagination, KSU in Italy, summer.
College of Arts and Sciences
- Rebecca Bender, Spanish Culture and Civilization, Spain, summer.
- Gary Brase, Cross-Cultural Psychology, KSU in Italy, summer.
- Traci Brimhall, Travel Writing, KSU in Italy, summer.
- Martha Caldas and Elizabeth Dodd, Biology and Creative Writing in Brazil, summer.
- Necia Chronister, KSU in Berlin and Leipzig, Germany, summer.
- Slawomir Dobrzanski, Musical Journey to the Land of Chopin, Poland, summer.
- Douglas Dow, History of Italian Art & Architecture, KSU in Italy, summer.
- Lauren Ritterbush and Brad Logan, Archaeology: From the Mediterranean to the Alps, KSU in Italy, summer.
- Timothy Shaffer, Communication and Democracy; Deliberation and Dialogue Process Models in Ireland, summer.
- Andrew Smith, Video Practicum for Study Abroad, United Kingdom, spring break.
- Andrew Smith, Photography & Visual Storytelling, KSU in Italy, summer.
- Ali Stoyan, KSU in Prague, Czech Republic, summer.
- Laura Valentin-Rivera, Spanish and Culture in Mexico, summer.
- Erin Wiersma, Drawing in Orvieto, KSU in Italy, summer.
College of Business Administration
- Swinder Janda and Bente Janda, International Marketing/Topics: Marketing in Europe in Spain & Italy, fall break.
- Swinder Janda, International Business in Munich and Rome, spring break.
- Terry Mason, Accounting International Experience, Ireland, summer.
- Marne Arthaud-Day, Sabine Turnley, MBA International Business Experience in the United Kingdom & Belgium, summer.
College of Education
- Trina Harlow, Art, Culture, and Education in Ireland, summer.
- Nancy Kole, ESL in Mexico, summer.
- Lotta Larson, Language and Literacy Education in Sweden, summer.
- Vicki Sherbert and Todd Goodson, Literacy and Place-Based Writing in the United Kingdom, summer.
- Ramona Stowe, ESL in Ecuador, summer.
College of Health and Human Sciences
- Betsy Barrett and Pat Pesci, Italian Food & Wine, KSU in Italy, summer.
- John Buckwalter and Shawna Jordan, International Health Care Experience in Paraguay, spring break.
- Kim Hiller Connell, Apparel & Textiles in Guatemala, spring break.
- Mary DeLuccie, Children and Families in a Cultural Context, Italy, summer.
- Hyungchan Kim, Interior Design Study Tour of South Korea, summer.
- Beka Meitler and Bronwyn Fees, Problems in Early Care and Education in Paraguay, summer.
- Cristina Milostan and Joe Milostan, Wine Studies in Spain and France, spring break.
Kansas State Polytechnic Campus
- Fred Guzek, Sue Guzek and Becky DeGreeff, International Project Management/Intercultural Communication, Switzerland and Germany, spring break.
College of Veterinary Medicine
- Walter Renberg, International Veterinary Study Tour, Tanzania, summer.
Staley School of Leadership Studies
- Sara Boro and Kait Long, Global Citizenship, Mexico, spring break.
- Andy Wefald, Culture and Context in Leadership, KSU in Italy, summer.
Additional thanks to the following K-State faculty and staff who also played a significant role in the development of these education abroad programs or assistance with students and faculty whose programs were disrupted due to COVID-19.
- College of Agriculture: Don Boggs and Tamie Redding.
- College of Architecture, Planning & Design: Katrina Lewis, Katie Kingery-Page, Lisa Last, Lynn Ewanow and Becky O'Donnell.
- College of Arts and Sciences: Louise Benjamin and Derek Hillard.
- College of Education: Shabina Kavimandan.
- College of Health and Human Sciences: Shawna Jordan and Cassie Hall.
A special thank you to Nick Lander and staff with Housing and Dining Services and staff at Lafene Health Center for their tireless efforts in assisting with the safe return of K-State students whose programs abroad were cut short due to COVID-19.
Thank you to those campus units who have a role in collaborating with Education Abroad on the development of faculty-led programs, including Office of Student Financial Assistance, Lafene Health Center, Office of General Counsel, Division of Financial Services and Global Campus.
If you are interested in developing an education abroad opportunity for your students, please contact email@example.com.