December 20, 2019
IRS issues new 2020 Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate
Earlier this month, the IRS released the 2020 Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate. The updates that need to be applied to HRIS were delivered to Human Capital Services on Dec. 13.
The form has been revised to comply with the federal tax law changes that took place in 2018. Employees are not required to complete the new form at this time but may elect to submit a new form. If you choose not to complete a new W-4 form, payroll tax withholding in 2020 will continue to be based on the most recent W-4 form submitted.
Currently, HCS and Information Services Office are in the process of testing the new 2020 Form W-4 and will update HRIS Self Service as soon as the testing is complete. Until these updates are completed, a paper W-4 and K-4 will be required for anyone wanting to change their federal or state tax status.
What does that mean for employees?
- Again, current K-State employees are not required to complete the new Federal 2020 Form W-4.
What if I want to make changes to my Federal Form W-4 after Jan. 1, 2020?
- You must complete and submit a paper copy of the form to HCS payroll. The 2020 Form W-4 is available as a PDF at irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf. Please consult with a tax advisor and review IRS Publication 15-T if you have any questions regarding the updated form.
- The IRS has published frequently asked questions.
Does this change have any impact on my state withholding form?
- This new Federal W-4 does not impact your state withholding form.
- However, since the federal and state withholding information was updated on the same Self-Service page in HRIS, until the page is updated, anyone wishing to change their State withholdings for 2020, must submit a paper copy as well to HCS payroll.
- Form K-4, Kansas Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate is available on the HCS website.
Anyone hired after Jan. 1, 2020, must complete the 2020 Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate and the K-4, Kansas Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate for state withholdings, if applicable. Again, until the update HRIS is complete, paper forms will need to be submitted to HCS payroll.
If you have any questions, please contact your HCS office at 785-532-6277.