October 31, 2017
Kansas State University welcomes Paraguayan higher education delegation to campus today
The U.S. Embassy in Paraguay is sending a Paraguayan higher education delegation of administrators from a number of Paraguayan universities to Kansas for two full days of meetings at Kansas State University and the University of Kansas. The Office of International Programs is organizing their visit Oct. 31 to meet with representatives throughout campus.
This year is the 50th anniversary of the official partnership between the state of Kansas and the country of Paraguay. Eighty students from Paraguay are studying at K-State this fall.
Delegation members include:
- Sonia Mariangeles Dominguez Torres, general director, Ministry of Education Paraguay.
- Luz Maria Elizabeth Martinez Villanueva, general academic direction, National University of Asuncion.
- Vitalina Montero De Ramirez, IIRR coordinator, Catholic University of Asuncion.
- Carlos Anibal Peris Castiglioni, director of postgraduate office, National University of Asuncion.
- Cesar Saul Prieto Paredes, coordinator, Thomas Edison American Corner at National University of Asuncion.
- Mario Anibal Romero Levera, international relations coordinator, Paraguayan Government Scholarship Program "BECAL."
- Edgar Antonio Sanchez Baez, IIRR office director, National University of Asuncion.
- Cristina Isabel Sarabia Aguilera, coordinator, Thomas Edison American Corner at National University of Asuncion.
While on campus, the delegation will meet with Provost and Senior Vice President April Mason; the Office of International Programs; College of Engineering; College of Architecture, Planning & Design; College of Veterinary Medicine; College of Human Ecology; Graduate School; and agronomy, art and geography departments as well as the Paraguay Student Association.
The Department of State invited this delegation to visit Kansas as part of its International Visitors Leadership Program and the Kansas City-based international Global Ties organization arraigned with visits with K-State and the University of Kansas.
They are on campus to:
- Explore successful internationalization initiatives at higher education institutions and implement them in Paraguay.
- Encourage more Paraguayan students choosing U.S. schools for degree study.
- Increase the amount of research and teaching between Paraguay and the U.S.
- Improve U.S. awareness of study abroad opportunities in Paraguay.
- Develop international student services and classes at Paraguayan universities that will make visiting U.S. students and faculty safer, healthier and more productive.
- Learn about current initiatives at K-State and increase student exchange and training programs between the two areas.
The Office of International Programs awarded the 2015 Innovative Educator of the Year Award in 2015 to the Comite Paraguay Kansas organization for assisting K-State to increase the Paraguayan student population and for its investment, dedication and assistance in helping students to achieve their goal of studying in the U.S. and at Kansas State University.