August 18, 2016
You spoke, we listened: Improvements implemented in the job candidate application process
Submitted by Human Capital Services- Talent Acquisition
The Division of Human Capital Services' Talent Acquisition learned of concerns regarding the faculty application process and the importance to simplify and shorten the application.
Over the summer, HCS student intern Cidney Washington conducted a survey of more than 575 candidates who completed the application process and did not complete the application process. HCS was pleased to learn that 9 out of 10 candidates felt the application was easy to understand, and that 81 percent of applicants felt the length of the application was reasonable. HCS committed to a department head that work would still be done on streamlining the process even if the feedback was positive — and we did just that.
Below is a brief update based on feedback:
- Objective: Further streamline and enhance the application process for faculty applicants considering Kansas State University as an employer.
- Strategy: Create an application for faculty positions that is simple, easy to understand and quick to complete.
- Action: Conduct feedback sessions with college and department faculty and staff involved in the hiring process and incorporate feedback.
- Action: Review feedback from survey participants and incorporate feedback.
- Action: Review faculty application process from peer and aspirant universities.
- Action: Develop a faculty application process based on best practices.
- Action: Develop a faculty application that uploads one single PDF file.
- Results: The application was reduced from seven pages to four pages. The changes are effective with new searches.
HCS intends to conduct another survey in the fall to assess these changes.
HCS also made revisions to the unclassified and university support staff application process and reduced the length of the applications. HCS is making improvements to the search committee screening tools in the applicant tracking system and more information will be available soon.