1. K-State home
  2. »Academic Advising
  3. »For Students
  4. »FAQs
  5. »Current Students

Office of Student Success

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Office of Student Success
Kansas State University
102 Holton Hall 
1101 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506


Twitter Squared iconKStateSuccess

 Instagram Icon kstatesuccess

Advising FAQs for current students

Advising 101: What is Academic Advising?

Academic advising is one of the more important activities we engage in at Kansas State University. Through advising, we help students establish their academic and career goals and then guide them through the courses and activities that will enable them to accomplish these goals.

Your advisor is there to help. If you have questions or concerns about your classes, need permission to enroll, have no idea what to major in (let alone what career path to choose), need tutoring, want to get involved in campus but aren't sure how, just ask your advisor, who is there to answer your questions and help guide you successfully through college.

Who is my advisor?

Your advisor will be listed in your Student Center in KSIS.

What can I expect from my advisor?

From a good advisor, you should expect genuine concern for you and your well-being, accurate and timely information, assistance in the exploration of educational programs and plans, assistance with academic procedures such as schedule changes, declaration/change of major, course scheduling/dropping and adding classes, assistance if you are placed on academic warning, referrals when needed to other support services, confidentiality and reliability.

When do I need to meet with my advisor?

Typically you will meet with your advisor at the beginning of every semester, you will also want to check in with them throughout the semester, or whenever you have questions, concerns, need help with study habits... the list goes on and on! Your advisor is your resource for success. Use their knowledge! They're there just for you!

What will my advisor expect from me?

Students are responsible for fulfilling all the requirements of the curriculum in which they are enrolled, so be prepared when you go to your advising appointments! Find out how you can be a responsible advisee and get the most out of your advising sessions.

What are flags/holds? Why do I have a hold and what do I do about it?

If there is a "hold" on your KSIS account, this means you need to take action. Log in to KSIS with your eID and password. From the Student Homepage in KSIS, click the Tasks tile, if no tasks are listed, you won't be able to enter the Items List. Within the Items List, click the name of a hold to view the details of that hold. You may have forgotten to pay a tuition bill, take a required survey, etc. The instructions indicate what needs to happen to have the hold removed. If you have an Advisor Flag, contact your advisor as soon as possible to get everything sorted out.

What if I want to change advisors?

Students are allowed to change advisors if necessary, however, some colleges may only have one academic advisor per department. If your department has multiple academic advisors, make an appointment to talk to your department head.

When do I enroll?

Check out the Academic Calendar to find out when you can enroll for the next semester. Typically, seniors enroll first, then juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Sorry, freshmen. You'll get your chance! Be sure to plan for "back-up" classes in case the ones you really want happen to be closed (full) before you can meet with your advisor to enroll.

What do I do if the class that I want to take requires instructor permission?

Contact the instructor for the class. If you aren't sure how to do this, see your advisor. Once the instructor has granted you permission (and the info magically shows up in KSIS) you will be able to add the class to your schedule (assuming the class isn't full and you've met all the pre-requisites). For more questions about enrolling, check out the FAQs - Enrollment for Students page.

When do I need to declare a major?

Undecided? During your first two years at K-State, you can be a part of our open option program. Students are allowed to remain in this program for up to 60 college credit hours, then you must declare a major. FAQs for open option students are also available for viewing.

What if I still can't decide on a major?

Never fear! If you still can't decide, chat with your advisor. A good advisor has knowledge about careers and every program offered at K-State. They will know how to assess your strengths and interests so you can select a major that's right for you! Check out the Career Center's website to find out more about exploring majors and careers.

Who is my Open Option advisor?

Your advisor will be listed on the right-hand side of the Student Center portion of your KSIS account. If you do not have an advisor listed, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences office of Student Services at (785) 532-6904. Learn more about Open Option advising and how to prepare for your advising appointment.

How do I read my DARS report? What is it?

Your DARS report (Degree Audit Reporting System) is an analysis of your academic progress. Be sure to review it every semester, before you enroll for classes, so you can see what classes you still need to take. Have any concerns? Make an appointment with your advisor! For more info on how to access and make sense of your DARS report, check out these DARS resources.