Financial Aid Process for Completing an Education Abroad

Timing is very important in the process of receiving financial aid for completing an education abroad program. All of the following steps must be completed before students leave the country.

Not all education abroad programs are eligible for financial aid. To receive financial aid, the program must be affiliated and have a contractual agreement with Kansas State University. An education abroad program could be an exchange that K-State has with another university or through a program provider in a contractual agreement with K-State. Education Abroad advisors provide information regarding affiliated programs.

1. Apply for federal financial aid.

If students have not done so already, they need to complete and submit a Free Application for Federal (FAFSA) for the academic year in which they plan on studying abroad. If the study abroad program is during the summer, students also need to complete the Summer Financial Aid Application which is usually available during the spring semester prior to the summer term. Students should check KSIS to see if there is any missing information our office needs in order to process the financial aid.

2. Work with an Education Abroad advisor to choose and apply to a study abroad program.

Education Abroad advisors provide information regarding the costs of various study abroad programs. After choosing a program, Education Abroad advisors provide students with a signed cost summary sheet for the chosen education abroad program.

Applications to participate in an education abroad will include an Education Abroad Academic Approval form to be signed by the student and his or her academic advisor. If the student plans on using federal financial aid to help fund the education abroad program, the student should meet with the education abroad financial aid advisor.

If an education abroad program will be led by a faculty member from K-State, students do not need to complete an Education Abroad Academic Approval form.

3. Meet with the education abroad financial aid advisor in the OSFA if you are in need of federal financial aid for the education abroad program.

Once an education abroad program is chosen, a cost summary sheet is provided to our office. The education abroad program expenses are then added to the student's cost of attendance in order to offer additional financial aid to the student.

4. Make all necessary arrangements for the OSFA to authorize financial aid to be applied to the student account.

Students should enroll for a direct deposit refund in KSIS. Parents should enroll for a Direct Deposit refund (EFT) (pdf) with Cashiers and Student Accounts.

For questions about education abroad, please email the Educational Abroad Office at or call 785-532-5990.