Please visit the Forms page to file an appeal.

Questions about Appeals

How can students and families notify the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) that their financial situation is not accurately reflected in the data submitted as part of the FAFSA?

The OSFA at Kansas State University recognizes that a family's financial circumstances may not be adequately reflected in the information provided on the FAFSA. If you have reason to believe that this situation applies to you and your family, we invite you to file a Professional Judgment Appeal along with supporting documentation with the OSFA. K-State’s financial aid advisors are authorized to make data adjustments, on a case-by-case basis, after reviewing a Professional Judgment Appeal. Such adjustments may allow a student to become eligible for additional forms of student aid.

I live on my own. Why am I not considered independent from my parents for financial aid purposes?

Not living with your parents doesn't automatically classify you as an independent student. Independent status is determined by the federal government based on a variety of factors such as your age, the degree you will be pursuing, your marital status, your veteran status, etc.. In very rare circumstances such as where the OSFA can document an abusive relationship between parents and students, the OSFA has the authority to make an otherwise dependent student independent for financial aid purposes. Please contact our office if you have questions.