Controlled Substances

Certain research activities require the use of controlled substances. Controlled substances are drugs and other substances regulated under the Controlled Substances Act to avoid illicit uses. These substances are identified in the schedules contained in the Controlled Substances Inventory List published by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Prior to purchasing or conducting research with controlled substances, University employees must register with the DEA and adhere to applicable Kansas Board of Pharmacy requirements. Employees with approved registrations (license) must comply with all related federal and state laws and regulations in accordance with Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 1300-1308 and the Kansas Statutes Annotated (KSA) 65-4101 through 4165; including controlled substances:

  • conditions of license
  • use and management
  • documented disposal
  • storage and inventory control
  • inventory physical security requirements
  • reporting and record keeping

This policy does not apply to controlled substances dispensed by a practitioner to a patient in the course of professional practice as authorized by his/her license. Clinical teaching activities must also comply with DEA and state regulations.

For further information on disposal see:

Use and Disposal of Controlled Substances Used for Research