Faculty start-up guidelines
Updated June 2023
- The point of contact for all start-up requests involving participation by the Office of the Vice President for Research, or OVPR, is Beth Montelone, senior associate vice president for research.
- Deans should provide a list of planned faculty hiring for the coming academic year by early September. This list should only include planned hires for which a request for OVPR support is anticipated. All requests must be approved in advance of initiating recruitment.
- As the hiring process proceeds, deans or department heads should update Montelone as to progress and submit final requests, following negotiation with selected candidates, when available.
- There is no implied or automatic OVPR obligation of investment in new faculty hires. Each request will be thoughtfully considered with respect to the candidate’s potential for contributions to research and potential to secure extramural funding.
- A maximum of 20% of the total startup amount will be invested by the OVPR in a start-up package.
- Commitments for hires that are not made in the current year will not automatically transfer to the next fiscal year. Requests for funding specific positions that were not filled must be made again.
Processes and Procedures for Start-up Commitments
- Start-ups will be split across three years and the OVPR share of start-up must be spent within the three years.
- Start-up funds from the OVPR will be reimbursed based on actual expenses. Please provide the expenditure information on the recruiting/commitment form and complete the second tab explaining contributions to the research discipline made during the reporting period. Request for reimbursement MUST be submitted NO LATER THAN 90 days after the end of the fiscal year or they will not be honored.
- The OVPR reimburses a proportional share of the actual eligible expenses. The OVRP will pay a higher percentage of expenses in the first year of the start-up for renovations, large equipment purchases, etc., if agreed upon in advance.
- An additional year for untenured faculty to spend their start-up funds will be considered only under exceptional circumstances and must be formally requested through the OVPR. Faculty members who were awarded start-up funds covering the two COVID years of FY 2020 or FY 2021 will be awarded an extension upon request. It is not granted automatically.