1. K-State home
  2. »Master of Public Health
  3. »Overview of Program
  4. »Concurrent BS/MPH Program

Master of Public Health Program

Concurrent Bachelor/Master/Graduate Certificate Program

The concurrent BS/MPH program provides exceptional undergraduate students with the opportunity to obtain both a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master of Public Health degree in a shorter time period than typically required if both degrees are pursued separately.  It was approved by the university in the Spring of 2010. 

With the permission of the undergraduate advisor, students in the following undergraduate majors are eligible to apply for the BS/MPH option. 

  • Animal Sciences & Industry
  • Food Science & Industry
  • Nutrition & Kinesiology dual degree
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Dietetics
  • Kinesiology
  • Life Sciences
  • Microbiology
  • Athletic Training
  • Nutritional Sciences
  • Psychology
  • Public Health Nutrition

Note:  If you do not see your undergraduate major listed, please contact us.

This option allows for up to 9 credit hours to be applied to both the BS and the MPH degrees. (Steps for BS/MPH handout)




Student visits in Junior or Senior year with undergraduate advisor and/or MPH program to see if eligible for Graduate School (minimum GPA of 3.0).  Student will be required to take the GRE and submit scores with Graduate School Application.


Student and undergraduate advisor select classes that may be used for both programs AND the courses have not been taken thus far in the undergraduate curriculum. The MPH Program will accept any class (elective or required) for desired MPH emphasis area if on approved list.


Student visits with their financial aid advisor and understands any financial aid ramifications.  An e-mail from the financial aid advisor to the MPH Director would be helpful, and encouraged.


Undergraduate advisor sends an e-mail to MPH Director indicating support for the student in the BS/MPH program and identifies the classes to be used for both degrees and when they will be taken.


Student applies for the BS/MPH program and if admitted THEN enrolls in the shared graduate classes. (See notes below, especially note #1.)


When the student has completed 9 graduate credits, a POS will be prepared in conjunction with MPH major professor and submitted to the Graduate School, even if the student is still working on their undergraduate degree.


  • Special Enrollment Form:  The student may take the intended shared courses for graduate credit by utilizing the special enrollment form on the Graduate School’s website (located under Miscellaneous forms), or a request for credit type change has been made during the current semester of enrollment (before rosters are released and final grades have been assigned).  These credits would appear on the graduate record in KSIS and may count toward the graduate program regardless of when they are taken, if they are listed on the POS. 
  • Change in Status.  The student's status will change from undergraduate to graduate once the student is formally admitted to the program with the start semester listed on the Graduate Application.  Taking courses for graduate credit using the Special Enrollment Form starts their graduate career/record, but their status remains undergraduate until the requested Graduate Application start semester.  The student needs to be very careful to select the correct starting semester on the application.  Generally, they should select the beginning of the last semester of their undergraduate degree if they receive federal financial assistance contingent on their undergraduate status to minimize the financial loss once this status change is made. 
  • All credits listed on the Program of Study cannot be older than 7 years
  • No exceptions to the above.  The Graduate School will not move classes between the undergraduate and graduate records in KSIS once the class roster has been closed and a grade has been assigned.