Associate director, University Honors Program
Strategic | Ideation | Individualization | Adaptability | Intellection
Campus office: 204 Leadership Studies Building
As the Associate Director, my responsibilities cut across most facets of the University Honors Program (UHP). On any given day, I might work with the director to develop some aspect of our future vision, meet with a prospective student and their parents, talk with a faculty member about the creation of an Honors course option, update student records in our Honors Administration Link, and/or meet with a current student to help them brainstorm about their Honors project. I particularly enjoy helping students think about their goals at K-State and beyond, encouraging them to consider how the Honors Program might synergize with those goals
- "The Dummy." The Write Launch, Issue 59, March 2022. Short fiction. https://thewritelaunch.com/2022/03/the-dummy/
- "What Haunts You about That House." The Dillydoun Review, Issue 3. April 2021. Essay. https://thedillydounreview.com/issue-3/jim-hohenbary/
- Before the Ruins, Blueberry Lane Books. September 2019. Novel https://www.amazon.com/dp/1942183119
- “Pardon My French, Excavating the Roots of the English Language.” Phi Kappa Phi Forum. Winter 2019. Essay. https://www.phikappaphiforum-digital.org/phikappaphiforum/winter_2019/MobilePagedReplica.action?
- “The Skunk Ape.” Carcosa Magazine, Vol. 1, Issue 1. February 2021. Short fiction. https://www.facebook.com/carcosamag/
- “Pareidolia.” The Molotov Cocktail. 2019. Flash Fiction https://themolotovcocktail.com/about/archive-vols-1-3/vol-10/vol-10-issue-8/
- "The Witch." Phi Kappa Phi Forum. Fall 2010. Poem. https://www.phikappaphi.org/docs/default-source/phi-kappa-phi-forum-documents/pkpforum_fall2010.pdf
- “Work Questions: Productively Talking with Students about Their Jobs.” The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal. 2.1 (2000). Published @ www.psu.edu/dus/mentor. Article.
- “Dinosaur with the Smallest Brain.” Sunflower Anthology: Volume 3 – Selected Poems from the 3rd Annual Flint Hills Poetry Contest. 1997-98. Poem
- “The Courtship of Miss Quinn,” / “Fragile” / “Doubt.” Windfall Undergraduate Literary Magazine: Volume XV. Northeast Missouri State University. 1992. Poems.
- Hohenbary, Jim et al. "Us and Them." Gateways: Residential Colleges and the Freshman Year Experience. Ed. Terry B. Smith. U of South Carolina, 1993. 19-23. Article.
- B.A. in English literature, Truman State University
- M.A. in English literature, Kansas State University
I worked as an academic advisor for Open Option (undecided) students for three years at the beginning of my career. I also worked with students for 22 years as they applied for nationally competitive scholarships. I am grateful to have had both of these previous experiences and feel that they constantly support my ability to be of service to the University Honors Program and its students. I focused on creative writing in my undergraduate and graduate education and enjoy writing as time permits. I have published poems, short stories, and essays; and my first novel, Before the Ruins, was published in late 2019.