How Do I Get Help?

What are ways to reduce my risks related to drinking?

Anyone who works to drink more safely is said to be practicing “Harm Reduction”. The term Harm Reduction includes every strategy which helps to reduce harm including abstinence.

  • Abstain...don't drink alcohol…it really can be an option.
  • Keep track of how much you drink.
  • Alternate non-alcoholic beverages with alcoholic beverages.
  • Avoid drinking games (binge drinking).
  • Choose alternatives both on-campus and off-campus.
  • Determine in advance not to exceed a set number of drinks.
  • Eat before and/or during drinking.
  • Have a trusted friend let you know when you have had enough.
  • Know what is defined as a standard drink.
  • Stay with the same group of friends the entire time

How do I get help reducing or stopping my drinking?

  • Contact Lafene Health Center (785-532-6544) and ask to speak with or make an appointment with the Alcohol & Other Drug Education (AODE) Director to discuss your concerns.
  • E-mail the AODE Director ( and discuss your concerns.
  • Call K-State Counseling Services (785-532-6927 - answered 24/7)
  • Call K-State Center for Advocacy, Response, and Education (785-532-6444 - answered 24/7)
  • Contact local Alcoholics Anonymous groups ( - Manhattan answering service: 800-564-0515)