April 15, 2019
Geology professor attends workshop on diversity, equity and inclusion in the geosciences
Karin Goldberg, assistant professor of geology in the College of Arts and Sciences, participated in the workshop "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Earth and Environmental Sciences" April 10-12 at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The workshop discussed the challenges and barriers students encounter and explore a range of approaches that can be adopted to broaden participation and foster inclusion at the course and program levels.
Through the workshop, participants:
- Discussed diversity, equity and inclusion and how they strengthen Earth and environmental sciences.
- Recognized barriers to and opportunities for inclusion.
- Explored strategies and practices that attract students, cultivate their science identities, help them to thrive in college and beyond.
- Applied a framework of engagement, capacity and continuity to program evaluation and design.
- Develop an action plan with strategies to strengthen diversity, equity and inclusion at the course and program levels.
- Enabled networking, sharing and collaboration within the Earth education community to improve diversity, equity and inclusion.
To learn more about the College of Arts and Sciences' geology department, visit the website. Visit the College of Arts and Sciences Diversity website to learn more about the programming, scholarships and resources for students and faculty in order to foster, encourage and promote diversity in the college.