Zoom Exam Monitoring
The instructions describe process to replace typical online exam proctoring with Zoom Exam Monitoring. The instructions show what this looks like on a Windows Computer/PC. In testing the options, screenshots of what this looks like on a Mac are also included.
- Computer microphone
- Computer speakers
- Adequate Internet speed
- Check your Internet bandwidth using Speedtest
- Zoom (make sure it is updated. Also see System Requirements for PC, Mac and Linux)
Downloading & Installing Zoom
- Download Zoom on the computer you plan to use for the exam by clicking the Download button.
- Click the Save File button to save the ZoomInstaller.exe file, or follow the appropriate prompts to open it directly.
- Double-click the ZoomInstaller.exe file to open it wherever it was saved on the computer and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Double-click the Zoom icon to open it.
- On the Zoom Cloud Meetings window, click Sign In with SSO.
- Type ksu into the Enter your company domain box and then click Continue.
- Enter your K-State eID and eID password and then click Sign In.
You should now have access to Zoom in a window that looks something like the following:
Note: Others testing have indicated it looks like the following on a Mac:
- Be alone in your room (if possible)
- Clear desk and area where you're taking your exam (including around and below desk/table)
- Please make sure your computer is plugged in (not only running on battery)
- No phones, headphones, and/or earbuds
- No dual monitors
- No leaving your seat
- Refrain from talking
- Webcam, speakers, and microphone must remain on throughout the exam
- Keep the recording going until after you have submitted your exam
- You can have blank scratch paper and or whiteboard, but you need to erase, tear up, and/or destroy it while still recording, at the end of your exam recording
When you are ready to take your exam
- In the Zoom window, click Start with video.
- Click Share Screen.
- Select the correct window for your screen or computer monitor and then click Share Screen.
Note: Your screen will look similar to the following:
- In your thumbnail video, increase its size by clicking the large rectangle.
Note: On Macs during testing, the window had to be manually resized. Your screen should look similar to the following:
- When you are ready to record, on the Zoom menu, select More and then select Record to the Cloud.
Note: During testing, some on Macs this option was found under Meeting, as shown below.
Others only reported a single record option as shown below.
My hope is that their Zoom just needed to be updated to have all the options. If this does not turn out to be the case, the file that is recorded to your computer should be shared through a Cloud-based program like OneDrive that you have through K-State (separate instructions).
- Follow through on showing the environment you are taking the exam in, along with a whiteboard or blank scratch paper that you plan to use as illustrated in this video.
Access Exam "Quiz" on Canvas
- On the Canvas homepage, from the To Do list, access the Exam 2 Quiz.
- When you are ready to start, click Take the Quiz.
- Take the exam. Notice running time and the question navigation available in the top right of the screen.
- To get to the next question, click Next. Do not click Submit Quiz until you are finished taking the exam.
- When you are finished taking the exam, click the Submit Quiz button and then click OK to submit your exam.
Note: If you have not answered a question, you will get a pop-up menu to remind you about unanswered questions. Ideally, you should click Cancel and then answer the questions before submitting, but if you want to submit, click OK.
- After submitting, you should get a screen that looks like the following:
- To stop the recording, select More and then select Stop Recording.
- In the Do you want to stop cloud recording? box click Yes.
- To end your Zoom meeting, select More and then select End Meeting.
- In the End Meeting or Leave Meeting? window, click the End Meeting for All button.
- You will receive an email once Zoom has finished processing the cloud recording. Open the email. It should look something like below.
Note: It will take some time for Zoom to process the recording.
- Copy the Share recording with viewers: link.
- Open Canvas and then click Grades.
- Click the exam you just completed.
- Within that exam, paste the video link into the Add a Comment: box and then click Save.
Note: If you have successfully pasted and saved your link, the comment should look like this: