Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who do I call if I need help?
Faculty/staff may wish to first contact their departmental support staff for assistance.
Q: How do I keep my eID active when I leave K-State?
A: As of January 2012, eIDs remain assigned to eligible individuals for life. Access to IT resources will remain enabled as long as the individual meets the eligibility requirements and has a valid password. See the K-State eID Policy for details.
Q: What happens if I leave and don't copy my email or folders?
A: Students (and retired or emeritus employees) retain full access to their email and files. Most employees who leave K-State lose all access to email and files 240 days after their termination date.
Q: Can I still use my K-State email address?
- Students have access to their K-State email account long-term.
- Employees who leave will lose their email Inbox and cannot send email from their @ksu.edu address.
Before losing access to your email account, copy your email Inbox folders and messages you want to keep.
Q: How do I change my forwarding address after I leave K-State?
A: E-mail forwarding is an option for students, but not for most K-State employees who leave. If you have a current K-State email account and your eID password is kept up-to-date, see Outlook Web App: Forwarding your email.
If your password is no longer current (because you missed a password deadline), contact the IT Help Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-532-7722, 800-865-6143 toll-free.
Q: How do I unsubscribe from mailing lists?
- Go to listserv.ksu.edu/web and click Subscriber's Corner to see all the K-State lists to which you're subscribed. You can unsubscribe from any or all lists.
- Email email@example.com with just a command in the body text: UNSUB listname (example: UNSUB TODAY-L)
where "listname" is the list's ID. LISTSERV will send an email notice that you've been removed.
For more information about mailing lists, see the LISTSERV mailing list website.
Q: What should I do about mailing lists that I own?
- Contact the other list owners to let them know you are leaving, and remove yourself as an owner.
- If you're the only owner of a list, ask one of the subscribers to be the new owner, then add them as an owner before you remove yourself.
- If one person is going to take over all your lists, email firstname.lastname@example.org and state who will be responsible for your lists. The LISTSERV staff will update all your lists.
- If a list and its archives are are no longer needed, notify email@example.com to request that the list and archives be removed.
Q: Can I continue to use software I've received from K-State?
A: No. Using the software after you leave K-State is a violation of the university's software license agreement. When you leave K-State, you must remove any software you've received under K-State software site licenses, volume-purchase agreements, or departmental agreements.
Q: How do I remove K-State's antivirus software?
A: Do one of the following:
- Follow the instructions to uninstall K-State antivirus software (requires a K-State eID/password to access).
- If you live in a residence hall, take your computer to Residential Networking to have it removed.
- Call the IT Help Desk and have them establish a remote-desktop session by connecting with your computer.
- Ask the IT Help Desk to send you a file that will remove the software.
Q: Can I still use the university computing labs?
A: No. Your eID will not be able to sign in on the lab computers after you leave K-State. The university computing labs are for K-State faculty, staff, and students with an active K-State eID. Children under 18 who are not students at K-State may not use the computers. Individuals may be asked to produce a valid K-State ID as proof of their age and enrollment status.