1. K-State home
  2. »Division of Information Technology
  3. »Leaving K-State FAQs

Division of Information Technology

IT Help Desk
Kansas State University
Hale Library
2nd floor
1117 Mid Campus Dr N
Manhattan KS 66506


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who do I call if I need help?

A: Contact the IT Help Desk, 2nd floor, Hale Library, helpdesk@k-state.edu, 785-532-7722, toll-free 800-865-6143.

Faculty/staff may wish to first contact their departmental support staff for assistance.

Q: How do I keep my eID active when I leave K-State?

A: As of January 2012, eIDs remain assigned to eligible individuals for life. See the K-State eID Policy for details.

Q: What happens if I leave and don't copy my email or folders?

A: Students (and retired or emeritus employees) retain full access to their email and files. Most employees who leave K-State lose all access to email and files 240 days after their termination date.

Q: Can I still use my K-State email address?


  • Students have access to their K-State email account long-term.
  • Employees who leave will lose their email Inbox and cannot send emails from their @ksu.edu address.
    Before losing access to your email account, copy your email Inbox folders and messages you want to keep.

Q: How do I change my forwarding address after I leave K-State?

A: E-mail forwarding is an option for students, but not for most K-State employees who leave. If you have a current K-State email account and your eID password is kept up-to-date, see Outlook Web App: Forwarding your email.

If your password is no longer current (because you missed a password deadline), contact the IT Help Desk, helpdesk@k-state.edu, 785-532-7722, 800-865-6143 toll-free.

Q: How do I unsubscribe from mailing lists?


  • Go to listserv.ksu.edu/web and click Subscriber's Corner to see all the K-State lists to which you're subscribed. You can unsubscribe from any or all lists.
  • Email listserv@listserv.ksu.edu with just a command in the body text: UNSUB listname (example: UNSUB TODAY-L)
    where "listname" is the list's ID. LISTSERV will send an email notification that you've been removed.

For more information about mailing lists, see the LISTSERV mailing list website.

Q: What should I do about mailing lists that I own?


  • Contact the other list owners to let them know you are leaving, and remove yourself as an owner.
  • If you're the only owner of a list, ask one of the subscribers to be the new owner, then add them as an owner before you remove yourself.
  • If one person is going to take over all your lists, email listhelp@k-state.edu, and state who will be responsible for your lists, the LISTSERV staff will update all your lists.
  • If a list and its archives are no longer needed, notify listhelp@k-state.edu to request that the list and archives be removed.

Q: Can I continue to use the software I've received from K-State?

A: No. Using the software after you leave K-State is a violation of the university's software license agreement. When you leave K-State, you must remove any software you've received under K-State software site licenses, volume-purchase agreements, or departmental agreements.

Q: How do I remove K-State's antivirus software?

A: Do one of the following:

Q: Can I still use university computing labs?

A: No. Your eID will not be able to sign in on the lab computers after you leave K-State. The university computing labs are for K-State faculty, staff, and students with an active K-State eID. Children under 18 who are not students at K-State may not use the computers. Individuals may be asked to produce a valid K-State ID as proof of their age and enrollment status.