1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »Students
  4. »J1
  5. »Dual Enrollment

International Student and Scholar Services

Dual Enrollment: 
Distance Education/Online Courses

What is Dual Enrollment?

International students attending Kansas State University who wish to enroll part-time at another institution are required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to maintain full-time enrollment between their attendance at K-State and the other SEVIS approved institution. F-1 and J-1 regulations define a full course of study as a minimum of 12 credit hours for undergraduates, of which at least half (6) credit hours must be taken at K-State. Graduate students must also be enrolled in at least half of their full-time course load at K-State. With approval, students are allowed to count Distance Education/Online courses (limited to 3 credit hours per semester), and/or courses taken at another SEVIS approved school as part of their full-time enrollment.

Note: You must maintain at least half of your credits at K-State. If you want to withdraw from a course at the other institution, you will need to be authorized by ISSS for a reduced course load prior to withdrawing.

When do I need approval for enrollment at another school?

You must receive approval for enrollment at another SEVIS approved institution if you are not enrolled full-time in courses held on-campus at K-State and want to count credits taken at another institution.

If you are enrolled full-time in courses held on-campus at K-State and now want to drop below full time and add classes from another SEVIS approved institution, you must get approval from the ISSS in order for the courses off campus to count towards your full-time enrollment. This approval must be authorized before dropping the K-State course.

When is approval for enrollment at another school not needed?

You do not need approval to enroll at another institution if you are enrolled full-time in courses held on-site at K-State OR you are enrolling during the summer semester at another institution. However if summer is your first or final term, you must take at least 1 credit-hour on-campus at K-State.

Am I eligible for a Dual Enrollment? How do I apply?

You are eligible to receive approval from ISSS if you meet the following requirements:

  • Must be in legal F-1 or J-1 status.
  • Submit a Dual Enrollment Approval form to ISSS with the appropriate signatures
  • Must remain on a K-State I-20 or DS-2019 during the semester for which the approval is granted
  • If applied for Dual Enrollment in the past, the student should have transferred the grades to K-State or have a transcript on file with ISSS from any previous dual enrollment, distance education/online course that was part of the required minimum hours.

Note the following for Fall and Spring semesters:

  • Request approval from the ISSS before the 20th day of classes, or before dropping below full time at K-State.
  • You must have verification of enrollment at the other institution as stated on the Request for Dual Enrollment Approval form.
  • At least half of the credits required for full-time enrollment must be on-campus at K-State. (ex. at least 6 credits for undergrad, 5 credits for graduate students without .4 or .5 assistantships or 3 credits for graduates with assistantships)
  • Only 3 credit hours of distance education or online enrollment will be counted towards the full-course of study requirement
  • Dual enrollment must total a full course of study according to Immigration regulations defined in the above paragraphs.
  • Only courses at SEVIS approved colleges and universities can be counted towards your full-course of study.
  • Complete the course on or before the end of the semester for which approval is granted.