Two-Year Home Residency Requirement- 212 (e)

Those who are subject to this requirement may not change their status to another nonimmigrant classification within the U.S.(except to an A or G status), are not eligible to become permanent residents, and cannot obtain an H-1B or L visa until they have lived in the country of last legal permanent residence for two years after completing their J-1 program.

Exchange visitors who are subject to this requirement are either:

  • Financed in whole or in part by the U.S. or home country‚Äôs government; or
  • From countries where their specific skills are needed, as determined by the Exchange Visitor Skills List; or
  • Medical doctors who come to the U.S. for advanced medical education or training.

Visit the ISSS Office for more information.