What is a waiver?
The waiver is a form you submit to ECI Services that verifies you have purchased alternative, qualifying health insurance coverage. It must be submitted before the waiver deadline each semester. If the waiver is approved, the insurance charge will be removed from your account.
What are the requirements for an alternative health insurance? (Updated June 2020)
- Unlimited Maximum Benefit for covered medical expenses.
- Coverage for essential benefits (with no dollar limits), as defined under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The policy must include:
- mental health services
- maternity benefits (if you are female or have a spouse on the plan)
- preventive care
- coverage for pre-existing condition
- pediatric dental and vision coverage (if you have dependent children on the plan)
- A policy year deductible of $500 or less.
- Maximum total out-of-pocket expenses cannot exceed $8,200 per member ($16,400 per family) with preferred providers. (Deductibles, coinsurance, and copays all count toward the out-of- pocket maximum.)
- A minimum of 75% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to network providers.
- Policy is not a Travel plan or Emergency/Urgent care only plan.
- At least $100,000 in coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation.
- Coverage includes effective dates spanning the entire period for which the waiver is requested.
- Summer - June 1 through July 31
- Fall - August 1 through December 31
- Spring - January 1 through May 31
- Plan document(s) are written in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and the insurance company contact phone number is located in the U.S.
- Insurer has a base of operations in the US or has a US based claims payer.
- Insurer is authorized to do business in Kansas and is providing coverage under a policy that has been filed and approved by the Kansas Department of Insurance.
- Coverage is provided by an employer's group plan which is compliant with items 1 through 10 or is backed by the full faith and credit of the student's home government
Where can I find the waiver ?
The waiver is administered by the company ECI Services. All students, once enrolled for a given semester will receive an email to their k-state email address from ECI. Students must follow the instructions in the email to complete the waiver. The email from ECI will look like the below image.
In this email you will have 3 choice of action to take.
- "Enroll Now" - If you choose this, you will be asked to submit some information and this will be submitted to United Healthcare. Within 3 or 4 days, you will be able to print your ID card and use your insurance. This is the recommended course of action if you are not applying for a waiver and do not have the GTA/GRA/GA Insurance.
- "Waive It" - This will take you to the waiver form. You will need to have all of the information on your alternative insurance plan.
- Do nothing. If you do nothing, then you will automatically be enrolled in the United Healthcare plan, but your information will not be sent to United until after the waiver closes.
What happens after I submit the waiver form?
ECI Services will review your waiver and if approved, the insurance charge will be removed from your KSIS account. If your waiver is denied, you will receive notification from of the denial from ECI and the charge will remain on your account. If you do not see the adjustment of the fee on your account or receive an email from ECI, you should contact email@example.com prior to the waiver deadline.
What is the deadline for the waiver?
For Fall semester - August 31
Spring semester - January 31
Summer semester - June 15 (this may vary by a day or two)