1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »Students
  4. »F1
  5. »Transfer to a New School

International Student and Scholar Services

Transfer to a New School

As an F-1 visa holder, you have a SEVIS record with the U.S. federal government. Only one U.S. institution has access to your SEVIS record at any time. If you have been studying at Kansas State University or are participating in OPT recommended by ISSS and now plan to attend another U.S. educational institution, your SEVIS record must be released by ISSS to the new, SEVIS approved institution. After the release date, the new institution will be able to issue a new I-20 for you.

Am I eligible to transfer?

  • The student must be maintaining status at his or her current school
  • The student has been admitted to by the transfer-in school, and the course of study at the transfer-in school must begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at the transfer-out school, or within 5 months of the release date set by the transfer-out school, whichever is earlier
    • For students on OPT, the course of study must begin within 5 months of the end of OPT, or within 5 months of the release date set by the transfer-out school, whichever is earlier
  • The student must be eligible for an I-20 at the transfer-in school
  • The proper transfer procedures must be followed in SEVIS, within the required deadlines

What are the steps for transferring?

  1. Receive admission to another SEVIS approved institution within the U.S.
  2. Complete and submit the Request to Release SEVIS Record Form along with a copy of your admission letter to the new school.
  3. ISSS will review your request and enter the transfer release information into SEVIS.
  4. You should then contact your new institution about receiving a new I-20 form.

*By completing the Request to Release SEVIS Record Form, you are giving ISSS permission to release your SEVIS record.

What is the deadline for having my SEVIS record transferred?

Students that meet the eligibility requirements, as mentioned above, your SEVIS record may be transferred at any time while you are a current student. Students who have successfully completed their program of study (or OPT) must transfer within their 60-day grace period.


This request is only for your immigration record. There are other procedures across campus that you will still need to take care of before you leave. Below we have listed a few important procedures.

  • All outstanding bills must be paid. Contact the Cashier's office with questions. The website is: http://www.k-state.edu/finsvcs/cashiers/
  • You are responsible for making sure all of your classes are dropped. Contact your academic department for instructions. If you do not drop these courses, you will be billed for them and will be expected to submit payment.
  • Notify Housing & Dining (or your landlord) of your plans to leave K-State. Be aware that there may be fees associated with leaving early.
  • English Language Program (ELP) students must meet with an ELP Counselor for an Exit Interview.


Quick Links to forms on this page:

SEVIS Release Form


ISSS Office