Personal well-being

Graduate school can require as much attention as (or even more than!) a full-time job. This can make it challenging to devote time to other priorities like family, health, hobbies and other personal responsibilities. Through partnerships with the Graduate Student Council, student service units, and external organizations, the Graduate School is committed to helping the whole student thrive – academically, professionally, and personally. This section highlights services and resources that support the personal wellness of our graduate students.

Holistic wellness

Office of Student Life

The Office of Student Life provides support and services to graduate students, including:

  • Advocating for students
  • Connecting students with accurate referrals for academic and personal problems
  • Assisting students with medical, mental health, or personal issues that affect their academic progress
  • Coordinating the university response to campus and student crises
  • Monitoring the campus environment and safety issues
  • Administering and advising the student judicial program
  • Supporting and serving as a resource for student's family members

Learn more

Wildcat Wellness Coalition

The Wildcat Wellness Coalition is a collaborative effort between numerous departments on the K-State campus with a mission to cultivate a holistic approach to wellbeing. The Coalition focuses on eight dimensions of wellness to promote a well-balanced and healthy lifestyle: spiritual, physical, environmental, emotional, intellectual, social, occupational and financial wellness.

Learn more


Physical health and wellness

Lafene Health Center

Lafene offers accessible, high quality, and affordable healthcare services for students. Students can receive immunizations, testing and treatment for mental health diagnoses, laboratory work, pharmacy, physical therapy, women’s health services and more.

Learn more

Recreational Services

Free for use by enrolled students, the Chester E. Peters Recreation Complex includes indoor tracks, a climbing wall, fitness equipment, racquetball courts, tennis courts, and other areas for a variety of fitness and recreation activities. Other recreational services include intramurals, Wildcat Wellness Coalition and Natatorium swim lanes.

Learn more

Cat's Cupboard

Graduate school can be a financially challenging period, and some students are unable to afford food for regular and nutritious meals. For those with food security issues, Cat's Cupboard is a food pantry on campaus providing K-State students with direct access to free food, as well as hygiene products and kitchen equipment. Graduate students also have access to several community resources.

Learn more

Health Insurance

For GTAs, GRAs, and GAs
Graduate students appointed to a .5 graduate teaching assistantship (GTA), graduate research assistantship (GRA), or graduate assistantship (GA), or any combination of the three equal to .5, are eligible for the GTA/GRA/GA option of the student health insurance plan. You also have the option to purchase dental and vision insurance.
Learn more about the GTA/GTA/GA option

For K-State Graduate Students not on an assistantship
Domestic, on-campus* graduate students who are not on a .5 GTA, GRA, or GA appointment may be eligible to enroll in the Kansas Board of Regents Student Insurance Program contracted through United Healthcare Student Resources. You also have the option to purchase dental and vision insurance.

*Online students are not eligible to enroll in this insurance plan.

Mental and emotional health and wellness

Center for Advocacy, Response, and Education (CARE)

The CARE office provides confidential, free, and voluntary services and advocacy for survivors of sexual violence, dating violence, stalking and sexual harassment.

Learn more

Counseling and Psychological Services

Free and low-cost individual and group therapy is available to students by licensed mental health practitioners and practicum students in mental health graduate programs. Free self-paced online workshops are available on topics like anxiety, stress management and relaxation. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) also hosts Kat chats, a series of monthly presentations on topics relating to mental health.

Learn more

Support for families and non-traditional students

K-State Family Center

At K-State’s Family Center, members of the K-State and Manhattan community have access to high-quality, affordable, individual, family, couple and group therapy provided by faculty members and graduate students enrolled in the School of Family Studies and Human Services's Couple and Family Therapy program.

Learn more

Center for Child Development

Parents needing care for their children can find it at K-State's NAEYC-accredited facility. The center uses The Creative Curriculum and Teaching Strategies GOLD programs to provide an exceptional growth and learning environment for children.

Learn more

Graduate Student Parental Leave

Graduate students who welcome a new child (whether through childbirth, adoption or foster care) are eligible to request academic leave and, if employed as a GTA, GRA, or GA, may be eligible for paid employment leave. Interested students should review the full policy in the Graduate Handbook and will need to submit an accommodation application to the Graduate School.

Parental leave materials and resources:

  • Graduate Student Parental Leave Accommodation Application (Word, PDF)
  • FAQs for academic accommodation (PDF)
  • FAQs for employment accommodation (PDF)


Non-Traditional and Veteran Student Services (NTVSS)

NTVSS offers assistance and advocacy for military and veteran students and can provide information and referrals in admission, non-traditional scholarships, housing and military specific questions.

Learn more