Electronic Theses, Dissertations, and Reports

Electronic Submission

All K-State graduate students are required to submit an electronic version of their thesis, dissertation, or report. The Graduate School does not accept paper copies.

Open Access

Electronic theses, dissertations, and reports (ETDR) submitted by K-State students are openly available through the K-State Research Exchange (K-REx) and are indexed by Google, Google Scholar, and other search engines. For information on copyright and your ETDR (such as how to legally reuse othersā€™ works and what to do if you want to publish sections or chapters of your ETDR with an academic journal), please visit Copyright Information for Graduate Students.

Formatting your ETDR

Your ETDR must follow specific formatting guidelines. The ETDR Handbook outlines these requirements. The ETDR Handbook (PDF) , the ETDR Formatting Checklist, and other tools and resources in this site demonstrate how to correctly format your ETDR to meet Graduate School requirements. ETDR submission and other requirements must be completed by specific deadlines in order for students to graduate and participate in commencement with a designated term. Refer to the Graduation and commencement checklists at the beginning of the term in which you intend to graduate to make a plan for completing all requirements on time.

Saving your ETDR as a PDF

A 2021 update to Word or Adobe Acrobat or Windows has led to the ETDR templates failing to output a .pdf file that is navigable (able to jump from the Table of Contents, List of Figures, List of Tables, etc. to the particular contents, figures, or tables) when outputting a .pdf file using the local version of Word. To workaround this issue, a .pdf file of your ETDR can be creating using the online version of Word. See instructions under "Outputting your ETDR as a PDF from Online Word" on the Frequently Asked Questions page.


If you have questions on any aspect of your ETDR, start by utilizing the templates, tools, and resources. Additionally, help is available through the Graduate School and the IT Service Desk. See Help and Contact Information to determine which office to contact for your specific question.