After You're Admitted: Checklists for New Graduate Students
Campus arrival checklist for international students
Complete the following tasks before the first day of class and you'll be well prepared for your first year at K-State!
- Receive admission letter.
- Receive I-20 or DS-2019
- Obtain visa.
- View information from International Student and Scholar Services.
- Make travel plans.
- Arrange housing.
- Contact your advisor.
- Take I-20 or DS-2019 to International Student and Scholar Services.
- Check in with the Graduate School. Bring diploma and transcript.
- Attend orientation sessions for international students.
- Obtain student identification card.
- Set up K-State eid.
- Make banking arrangements.
- Secure housing and pay necessary deposits.
- Go to Lafene Health Center to make arrangements for mandatory tuberculosis testing if from high-risk country. NOTE: It is very important to obtain mandatory health insurance before beginning tuberculosis testing. Follow these instructions for health insurance enrollment if you will have a GTA, GRA, or GA appointment.
- Contact the English Language Program to register for English proficiency test, if required. Take test.
- Contact the English Language Program to register for SPEAK test for graduate teaching appointments. Take test.
- Meet with advisor for information on enrollment, department orientation sessions and program requirements.
- Attend Graduate School orientation session for all new graduate students.
- Attend Graduate School orientation session for all new graduate teaching assistants, graduate research assistants and graduate assistants.
- Enroll in classes after consultation with advisor.
- Pay tuition and fees.
- Obtain parking permit, if needed.
- Become familiar with K-State Online and Canvas for use in coursework.
- Purchase books and supplies.
- Attend department orientation sessions, if applicable.
- Attend first class!