The Gardens provide hands-on learning to students in the horticulture program, as well as students in several other disciplines across campus.
The Friends of The Gardens sponsor several community educational programs, including:
- Luncheon Series
- Digging into Gardening
- Garden Tours
- Volunteer Training (Docent) Program - Includes 3 sessions covering an introduction to The Gardens, tour leading, and garden needs.
Additional educational programs include:
As The Gardens grow, there will be more opportunities to provide educational programs designed for children and adults in Manhattan and beyond.
Resources for The Gardens Collection plants -
The four K-State Gardens Collections consist of irises, daylilies, roses, and peonies. The following are a few internet sites for information on these plants.
- The Flint Hills Iris Society - This site has information on growing irises, types of bearded irises and contact information if you have questions.
- American Hemerocallis Society (AHS) - This site answers frequently asked questions about daylilies. Also, the home page of the AHS has additional information about the organization.
- American Rose Society - This site is "Dedicated to America's favorite flower: the rose".
- The Old Farmer's Almanac - Planting Roses etc.(https://www.almanac.com/plant/roses) - Good basic information on growing roses.
- The Old Farmer's Almanac - How to plant, grow, and care for peony flowers - (https://www.almanac.com/plant/peonies) Good basic information on peonies.