How to Get Permission to Enroll in Permission-Only Courses

Academic Year 2024-2025

Enrollment for Summer and Fall 2024 begins Monday, March 18, 2024.

Permission requests will be available and permissions issued starting Monday, March 4, 2024 at 8 a.m. CT.

As a way of ensuring that students who need particular courses to graduate or to progress in their major have priority, the English Department manages enrollments in certain high-demand courses by permission only.

The following courses require permission, which is available online from the links below:

ENGL 100 "Expository Writing I" online | Summer 2024 | Fall 2024

ENGL 200 "Expository Writing II" online | Summer 2024 | Fall 2024

ENGL 310 "Introduction to Literary Studies" (required of English majors and minors) | Fall 2024

ENGL 355 "Literature for Children" (required of elementary education majors) | Fall 2024

ENGL 417 "Written Communication for the Workplace" | Summer 2024 | Fall 2024

ENGL 516 "Written Communication for the Sciences" | Fall 2024

ENGL 597 "Career Paths in English and the Humanities" | Fall 2024 (Oct -Dec)

ENGL 698 "English Capstone" (required of English majors) | Fall 2024

ENGL 661, 663, 665, 669, 761, 763, 765, and 771, Advanced Creative Writing Courses | Fall 2024


How to Enroll in Permission-Only Courses in English

1) Click on the link above for the selected course and semester to access the online permission form.
2) Complete and submit the online permission form.
3) Receive email confirmation from the English Department that you have been given permission to enroll.
4) On your assigned enrollment date, use KSIS to enroll in the section for which you have been given permission.


  • Make your request early to get your first choice—even if you have a late enrollment date, you can still obtain permission for the section you want.
  • Even if you cannot enroll in your first choice, you can sign up to be on a waiting list.
  • If you are unable to sign up for ENGL 310 this semester, here are some courses you can take to progress towards your degree: Advising FAQs.

How to Enroll in ENGL 210 "Honors English"
Obtain permission from the Honors Program.