Making a Referral to CAPS
Presenting yourself as knowledgeable about campus services can ease a student’s discomfort about seeking help. Here are some suggestions for non-crisis and crisis (a student needs to be seen right away) situations:
- If a student is in crisis during CAPS business hours, call 785-532-6927 and ask to speak to the Counselor on Duty.
- Our business hours are Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm when school is in session. During school breaks, including summer, our hours are Monday - Friday, 8 am - 12 pm and 1 pm - 5 pm.
- Provide the counselor with a description of the situation.
- The counselor will help you with appropriate actions to take. Same day appointments are always available for students who need to be seen right away.
- If the crisis situation occurs outside of CAPS business hours call 785-532-6927; your call will be forwarded to a mental health professional who can provide you with consultation.
- If the student or another person is in imminent danger, or when you believe a student is out of control, call 911.
It is often a good idea to FOLLOW-UP with students after the referral was made. Please be aware that sessions with CAPS staff are confidential. Our ability to share information is governed by ethical limits of confidentiality.
- Answer your general questions about making referrals
- Offer you information about psychological concerns and problems in general
- Take information from you about the student
- Give information about the student or specifics about the situation
- Discuss content of counseling sessions
In some cases, a student may find it in their best interest for a counselor to share information with a faculty, staff, family member or significant other. Disclosing counseling-related information can occur with a student’s written authorization.