Attending Veterinarian (AV) Review Guideline
1. References: 9 CFR §2.31(d)(1)(iv)(B), AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 edition; IACUC Guideline #12: Use of Freund’s Complete Adjuvant
2. Purpose/Scope: This Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) policy provides guidance on when an Attending Veterinarian (AV) consult is required prior to submission of animal care and use protocol (ACUP) to the University Research Compliance Office (URCO) for IACUC review and the administrative process for requesting and documenting the AV consult.
3. Principal Investigators/Instructors (PIs) are required to consult with the Kansas State University’s AV prior to submitting an ACUP to the URCO office for IACUC review whenever the proposed ACUPs involves:
3.1. The use of anesthetics, analgesics, tranquilizers, sedatives, and/or paralytics for the induction/maintenance of anesthesia, alleviation of pain/distress, and/or chemical restraint;
3.2. USDA Pain Category D (alleviated pain/distress) or E (unalleviated pain/distress) animal procedures/manipulations that would otherwise cause more than momentary and/or transient pain or distress if performed without anesthesia, analgesia, etc. (e.g., surgery, inducing disease/injury, LD50 toxicity testing, exposure to extreme environmental conditions, prolonged physical restraint, any water or food restriction or deprivation, stress/performance testing, etc.);
3.3. Euthanasia methods that are categorized as “acceptable with conditions” or “unacceptable” as per the AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 edition; except:
3.3.1. CO2 euthanasia in rodents
3.3.2. Isoflurane overdose in rodents
3.4. Use of Freund’s Complete adjuvant (Guideline #12).
4. PIs must contact the AV (CMG Director) to arrange for an AV consult prior to submitting their ACUP to the URCO for IACUC review. This can be accomplished by either emailing/calling the AV directly or calling the CMG office (x2-5640) to schedule an appointment for an AV consult and emailing a copy of the draft ACUP to the AV. The AV consult may be accomplished either as a face-to-face meeting with the AV (preferred) or via phone conversation at the discretion of the AV. In the event that the AV is out of the office and/or otherwise unavailable for an AV consult within 5 working days of the PI’s request the CMG Associate or Assistant Director are authorized to conduct the AV consult on behalf of the AV.
5. Supersedes: IACUC Guideline #22: Attending Veterinarian (AV) Review Guideline, pre 01/17/2019.
LAST REVIEWED AND ADOPTED BY THE IACUC: July 25, 2019