Student Tips for Career Fair Success
Bring multiple copies of your resume
- Refer to the Career Center's Resume and Interview Guide for ideas and guidelines on how to build an effective resume.
- For a quick resume critique, schedule an appointment for a Resume Tune-Up prior to the career fair to meet with an advisor. Please note Tune-Ups are NOT available on the day of the career fair.
- For a drop-in resume critique, visit The Studio on the second floor of the Career Center. The Studio is open from 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday, and will be open throughout the career fair.
- For a more in-depth resume review, schedule an appointment with your Career Center advisor through Handshake.
- Check out the Career Closet at the Career Center for free business professional attire from a wide selection of clothing that has been donated by Kansas State faculty, staff and alumni. The Career Closet is open to all currently enrolled K-State students.
Research companies prior to your visit
- Visit the companies attending the fair in Handshake prior to your visit, and take note of which day(s) a company is signed up to attend! Companies choose which day(s) they attend based on their unique recruitment needs, which can impact whether or not they participate on a certain day.
Prepare your elevator pitch
- An elevator pitch is a quick 30 second summary of your background and career interests, including your name, major, education, training, and strengths. A good elevator pitch emphasizes what you can do for the employer, rather than what the employer can do for you.
Meet with your Career Advisor
- Schedule an appointment with your career advisor prior to the fair to make the most of your career fair experience. In addition to career fair prep, your career advisor is available to assist you with career exploration, career assessment, resume/cover letter critiques, job or internship searches, and mock interviews.
Accessibility & Accommodations
- We are committed to making materials and services accessible for all students. If you require an accommodation to participate in a career fair, please contact the Career Center at 785-532-6506 and we will be glad to assist you. Kansas State University complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination, equal opportunity, affirmative action, and providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.