Service Animals

K-State is committed to allowing students with disabilities the use of a service animal on campus to facilitate their full participation and equal access to the University programs and activities. K-State is also committed to allowing assistance animals; specifically, emotional support animals, necessary to provide students with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University housing.

There can be much confusion regarding assistance animals on campus. A service animal, under the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA), is defined as a dog (or miniature horse in certain circumstances) that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities. Examples of work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, sensing that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack for a person with PTSD, or performing other duties.

Service animals are welcome in all buildings on campus and may attend any class, meeting, or other event. The University may prohibit the use of service animals in certain locations due to health or safety restrictions, where service animals may be in danger, or where their use may compromise the integrity of research due to the presence of chemicals and/or organisms. Exceptions to restricted areas may be granted on a case-by-case basis.

Students who use a service animal are encouraged to contact the office, especially when the disability and the function of the dog is not obvious. Due to the nature of community-living, this would include if you live in on-campus housing.

Animals that provide comfort just by being with a person is not a service animal under the ADAAA because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task. It is important to note that animals that provide comfort may be identified by various other names such as an emotional support animal, companion animal, assistance animal, comfort animal, or therapy animal.

An animal that provides comfort are typically dogs and cats, but may include other animals. These animals are only allowed in on-campus housing under the Fair Housing Act. Students who are requesting a comfort animal in on-campus housing are required to register with the office. Documentation is required and must verify a documented disability, show that the animal is necessary to afford the individual an equal opportunity to use and enjoy on-campus housing and document that there is an identifiable relationship between the disability and the assistance the animal provides.

The Student Access Center will consult with Residence Life in making a determination on a case-by-case basis of whether the request is appropriate. Please view our information for housing accommodations.


Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA

More information regarding animals on K-State campus “Control of Animals on Kansas State University Property".