1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »Current students
  5. »Before Your Program
  6. »Prepare for Enrollment in the Study Abroad Placeholder Course

Education Abroad

The Study Abroad Placeholder Course

All K-State students who will be transferring credit from a university abroad back to K-State must enroll in the study abroad placeholder course, MLANG 001 during the term they will be abroad.

The MLANG 001 course holds a student's spot at K-State while they are abroad. This means that:

  1. You will be able to keep your active K-State student status.
  2. You will be eligible for financial aid.
  3. You will be allowed get credit of studying abroad.
  4. You will be able to use your K-State email.
  5. You will be able to access KSIS.
  6. Your study abroad experience will be included on your K-State transcripts.
  7. The K-State Cashiers Office is aware that you will be studying abroad. 

Students will not be charged tuition based on the number of credits of enrollment in the MLANG 001 course, but will incur a $25 enrollment fee from the Cashier's Office once enrolled in MLANG 001.

It is important that students have all holds removed from their student account, and do not have other regular course enrollment at K-State for the term abroad, as these will prevent the Education Abroad from being able to enroll a student into the MLANG 001 course.

Semester or year-long program students will be enrolled in the MLANG 001-A placeholder course for 12 credits by the Education Abroad, regardless of academic level or how many credits will actually be taken abroad.

Faculty-led language program students will be enrolled in the MLANG 001-C placeholder course by the the Education Abroad for the minimum number of hours they will be transferring back to KSU after their program.

Summer program students will be enrolled in the MLANG 001-A placeholder course for the number of credits being earned on the program by the Education Abroad.

Graduate students must complete the Special Enrollment Access Form in order to enroll in this Undergraduate level placeholder course.  While this is an Undergraduate level course, as long as the transcripts received from abroad indicate that Graduate level courses were taken, the credit will transfer back as Graduate level credit.

College of Business Administration students should contact their Academic Advisor about enrolling in an additional business study abroad course.

University Honors Program students should contact the University Honors Program about enrolling in an additional study abroad course.