1. K-State home
  2. »Veterans Affairs
  3. »Veterans Benefits

Office of Veterans Affairs

Veterans Benefits

Welcome to the K-State Family! It only takes a couple steps to get your federal military educational benefit started at K-State. If you are using your benefit for the first time you will need to apply to use your benefit through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affair's at Vets.gov.  Once submitted you will receive a certificate of eligibility for your benefit.  Please submit a copy of your certificate of eligibility to K-State's Veteran Affairs office.  If you already have a certificate of eligibility and have used your benefit at a different school you will need to submit Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) which can also be done through the Vets.gov website.  Lastly, you have control over when you utilize your benefit! Every semester that you want the K-State's Veteran Affairs office to submit your enrollment to the VA, turn in a completed Veterans Information Form.  On this form you will list the courses you are enrolled in that are required for your degree. Please remember to submit an updated form if your enrollment changes.  If you do not turn in a form, your enrollment will not be certified to the VA.  

Special Considerations

1. Students in the following categories should consider contacting the Office of Veteran Affairs for special instructions:

  • Repeating a course in which the previous grade was a D or better.
  • Enrolled in short courses (certification will only be for actual duration of the course).
  • Concurrently enrolled at two education institutions. Parent letter Request Form 
  • Considering withdrawing from the University or dropping a course. 
  • Receiving an incomplete grade for one or more courses.

2.  A withdrawal from the University or a course drop may result in retroactive loss of benefits.  The reduction in training time reverts back to the beginning of the enrollment period unless documentation is provided to the VA proving mitigating circumstances. If mitigating circumstances is approved by the VA a prorated debt may still be incurred.

Mitigating circumstances as defined by the VA include:

  • An illness or injury afflicting the student during the enrollment period.
  • An illness or death in the student's immediate family.
  • An unavoidable change in the student's conditions of employment.
  • Immediate family or financial obligations beyond the control of the claimant that require him or her to suspend pursuit of the program of education to obtain employment.
  • Discontinuance of the course by the school.
  • Unanticipated active military service, including active duty for training.
  • Unanticipated difficulties with childcare arrangements the student has made for the period during which he or she is attending classes.

Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607

Verify your monthly enrollment beginning on the last day of the current month. Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or 1-877-823-2378

Kansas National Guard members need to apply each year for tuition assistance through the Kansas Board of Regents.

Kansas Military Service Scholarship

This scholarship is available for the payment of tuition and fees at a public Kansas institution for students who are a resident of Kansas. Click the link for more information and requirements. Those with 100% eligibility of the Post 9/11 GI bill will not qualify for this scholarship as it is earmarked to pay tuition and fees only.

Military Evaluation

The K-State Office of Admissions will evaluate your military training and experience for possible college credit. A military credential evaluation is optional and has no bearing on your admission status at K-State. This evaluation does not include evaluation of transfer work from other educational institutions.


How can I find out if I am eligible for Veteran educational benefits?

Call the St. Louis Regional Processing Office at 1-888-442-4551.

Which benefit would be best for me and how do I apply for it?

VA's Comparison tool

Applying online through VONAPP is the recommend option. Veterans will complete Form 22-1990 and spouses and dependent children applying to use transferred benefits will complete Form 22-1990e.

What is the current pay rate for my chapter?

Payment Rates

BAH Calculator Zip code of K-State: 66506; Pay Grade: E-5 with dependents. 
This amount is reflective of the full time rate, 100% eligibility.  If enrolled less than full time and/or less than 100% eligible for your benefit, the amount will be prorated accordingly. 

Are all degrees and certificates approved for VA benefits?

All degrees at K-State are approved for VA benefits. Therefore the VA will pay for any course that is required for your degree plan. However, not all certificates are approved for VA benefits.  A list of VA approved certificates is available on the VA's website WEAMS. Select Kansas State University. Click Programs and then Non College Degree.  

Do I have to pay my T&F Bill on the first day of the term?

No, you do not have to pay on the first day of the term.  Once the veteran information form is turned in, the Veteran's Office will defer your due date from the first day of the semester to the middle of the semester.  If you have charges other than T&F on your account such as a parking pass and/or athletic tickets, you will need to make a payment in the cashiers office specifically for those charges prior to the deferred due date.  

I keep getting emails from the cashiers office regarding my balance. Do I need to contact anyone?

As long as a balance remains on your account you will continue to receive notices from the cashiers office. The VA pays about a week prior to the start of a term.  Therefore if you have a late starting class, the T&F may remain on your account until the VA sends payment.  If you are still receiving emails or have a balance on your account after mid semester and all classes have started, you should contact the Veterans Office to check on your enrollment certification to the VA. You will not be dropped from classes due to non payment. However, you may not be allowed to enroll in a future semester until the balance is paid.

How many hours do I need to enroll in to be a full time undergraduate?

Hours EnrolledWeeks in Term

The fall and spring semesters are 16 week terms.  The VA pays according to each course's enrollment date.  If you are enrolled in 9 hours for the entire 16 week semester, and also a 3 hr course for 8 weeks, you will receive the full time housing allowance while taking the 8 week course. For the period you are only in 9 hours, the VA will pay you 3/4 time (For a 16 week term, 9 hrs = 80% of the full time housing allowance rate; 8 hrs = 70%).

Summer classes are no different.  If you are in two - 3 credit hour courses that are 8 weeks long you will only get the full time housing allowance for the time the two classes over lap.  If one begins after the other one ends, VA considers you at the half time rate.  Note: The Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit only pays out a housing allowance for greater than half time enrollment.  

What happens if I drop a class... or two... or more?

If you drop a class, expect to pay the VA back for the tuition and fees that were paid for that class.  If you drop below full time, you may have a housing allowance debt to the VA as well. 

The VA made a payment but why do I still owe a balance on my account.

Of course there could be many reasons for this, but many times it is due to a class (mini term) not starting until later in the semester.  The VA sends payment to the school about a week prior to the start of a term.