March 25, 2015
Removal of asbestos heat-resistant gloves in labs
All employees and students who work in labs should check heat-resistant gloves for labels that note the gloves are asbestos free.
During lab inspections on campus, Shane Garrett, the university's health and safety inspector, found an old pair of heat-resistant gloves made with asbestos in a university lab. The gloves have been removed and properly disposed of by Kansas State University's Environmental Health and Safety.
Manufactured prior to the 1980s, asbestos gloves are typically white with a gray wool-type of insulation and do not have an asbestos free label on the inside. Asbestos gloves are being removed from campus because as the material becomes worn, asbestos can be released into to the air and cause health hazards.
If you find this type of glove, report it to your principal investigator or call Environmental Health and Safety at 785-532-5856 to dispose of the gloves correctly.