Membership & Benefits
- Be at least of Sophomore standing
- Be in the top 1/3 of your class (3.0 or higher)
- Have at least a 3.2 GPA in English courses
- Have completed at least 9 hours of English courses
- Pay a $40 one-time entry fee
- Undergraduates who do not meet the criteria for full membership, but wish to be members of the Chapter, may become associate members after declaring a major or minor in English. Candidates for associate members must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in general scholarship (if they have completed college course work). Associate Members may remain at the associate level of membership for no more than 3 semesters before they must apply for full membership.
Benefits of Student Membership
Along with lifetime membership and the ability to personally and professionally grow as an individual with a passion for English, you will also gain the following:
- May vote and hold chapter or an international office;
- May be published in Sigma Tau Delta journals;
- May attend chapter, regional or international meetings and conventions and make presentations;
- May serve on chapter, regional, or international committees;
- Are eligible to compete for scholarships and awards offered both by the chapter and the international organization;
- Internship opportunities with Penguin Group and Better World Books;
- Can apply for scholarships and awards, many of which award members $1,000-$4,000;
- And more.
Benefits of Associate Membership
- Associate members may attend chapter, regional or international meetings and conventions.
- Associate members may serve on chapter committees.
- Associate members are eligible to compete for scholarships and awards offered by the chapter.
- Faculty may obtain membership if they hold a degree in English. No membership fee is required.
- Faculty can attend meetings, annually-held conventions, and serve on committees and Boards.
- Faculty are not permitted to submit essays to Sigma Tau Delta's journals.
- Faculty may attend convention and participate as presenters for panels and sessions.
- For more information regarding Faculty Membership, consult Sigma Tau Delta National.