Legislative Branch of SGA
The Legislative Branch is composed of elected student senators and committee members. In Student Senate, students determine how students’ money is allocated and establish policies for the K-State student body. Senate also votes on resolutions, the second type of legislation. Resolutions are non-binding legislations, such as supporting a city ordinance or commending the K-State football team.
Speaker of the Student Senate
Ryan Kelly, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Speaker of the Student Senate serves as the chief executive of the legislative branch of SGA. The Speaker presides over the Student Senate and is responsible for chairing the SGA Executive Committee, and supervising the officers of the Student Senate. The speaker is nominated and elected by Student Senate and serves a one-year term.
- Preside over Student Senate Meetings
- Chair SGA Executive Committee Meetings
- Serve as a voting member of Faculty Senate and Faculty Affairs Committee of Faculty Senate
- Verify and sign all passed legislation and present such legislation to the Student Body President
- Supervise the Student Senate Secretary, the Student Senate Parliamentarian, and the Standing Committee Chairs
- Be a student voice to K-State faculty, administration, and to state leaders
Speaker Pro Tempore of the Student Senate
Joshua Arnoldy, email@example.com
The Speaker pro tempore of the Student Senate assumes the duties of the Speaker of the Student Senate upon the Speaker’s absence. Like the Speaker of Student Senate, the speaker pro tempore is also nominated and elected by Student Senate and serves a one-year term.
- Serving as Speaker of the student senate in the absence or at the request of the Speaker.
- Assist in the coordination of committee appointments.
- Assist the Speaker in supervising the Student Senate Secretary, the Student Senate Parliamentarian, and the Standing Committee Chairs.
- Chair the Diversity Programming Committee.
Officers of the Student Senate
Parliamentarian: Samuel Pittman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Caitlyn Dougherty, email@example.com
Student Senate Standing Committees
There are six standing committees in Student Senate that specifically address areas of concern for the student body. Each student senator and intern serves on a standing committee. In committees, a bulk of the bills and resolutions are created among groups of SGA officials. Learn More.
There are sixty elected members of Student Senate. Each college or school is represented by at least one Student Senator. Student Senators are duly elected for a term of one year from the main campus student body. Learn More.