1. K-State home
  2. »Office of Institutional Equity
  3. »Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention
  4. »How to Help
  5. »Information for Parents

Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention

Scott Jones
Title IX Coordinator
Director of the Office of Institutional Equity
103 Edwards Hall

The Title IX Coordinator handles inquiries regarding discrimination, harassment, and sexual violence policies and complaints.

For urgent 24-hour
assistance, call: 

Office of Student Life

Counseling Services


K-State Police Department

Information for Parents

For parents of students who have been sexually assaulted

Finding out that your child has been sexually assaulted can be a parent’s worst nightmare, and the situation can be much harder to deal with when your child is away at college and you can’t physically be there for him or her. But if your child turns to you for help, there are many ways that you can show your support, even from afar. 

In addition to the suggestions for supporting a victim/survivor, keep in mind these ground rules when helping your child cope with a sexual assault.

  • Understand if your child doesn’t tell you about the assault immediately or if he/she doesn't come to you first. There are a number of reasons why they might avoid telling you about it, but rather than focusing on why they delayed coming to you, you should direct your energy into helping them heal. Don’t ask them to defend or justify their decision.
  • Be honest with your child about your feelings — it’s OK to admit that it’s a difficult topic to discuss, but be clear that you are willing to talk and listen about anything. It’s OK to grieve with your child, BUT ...
  • Control your emotions when talking to your child about the assault. You will probably feel many things, including sadness, anger, guilt or even shame, but try not to let your feelings overshadow those of your child. It is hard for children to see their parents struggle, and they might feel guilty for upsetting you if your emotions get out of hand.
  • Realize that you can’t fix the problem. You might feel tempted to push your child to seek legal justice or other types of “solutions," but there is no way to make an assault go away. Let your child make his or her own decisions and be supportive of those choices.
  • Don’t forget to take care of yourself and spend time coming to terms with your own feelings about the assault — seek professional help if you need to. Among other emotions, you might be feeling guilty, helpless or angry toward the person who assaulted your child. These reactions are expected, but you are not expected to deal with them by yourself.

You can contact Center for Advocacy, Response and Education (CARE) for more information about resources for you and your child, but first be sure that your child is comfortable with that. It is important to respect your child’s privacy.

For parents of students who have been accused of sexual assault

It can be confusing and overwhelming when your child is accused of a crime, especially a crime as serious and difficult to talk about as sexual assault. Many of the guidelines for supporting a victim/survivor who has been sexually assaulted can also apply to supporting someone who has been accused of assault, but here are some additional guidelines for parents of someone who has been accused:

  • Be available to listen if your child decides that they want to discuss the accusations, and try to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to open and honest discussion.
  • Recognize that there is a difference between showing support for your child and showing support for your child’s actions. You can accept and love your child as a person even if you don’t agree with their behavior.
  • Avoid making any judgments or placing any blame on your child or your child’s accuser — if you weren’t there, you can’t say for sure what happened.

Trained Student Support Persons are available through the Office of Student Life to assist students who are accused of sexual assault learn about resources and navigate any disciplinary process. 


*Web content on this page was borrowed with permission from Purdue University.