1. K-State home
  2. »Office of Institutional Equity
  3. »Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention
  4. »How to Help
  5. »Information for Faculty and Staff

Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention

Scott Jones
Title IX Coordinator
Director of the Office of Institutional Equity
103 Edwards Hall

The Title IX Coordinator handles inquiries regarding discrimination, harassment, and sexual violence policies and complaints.

For urgent 24-hour
assistance, call: 

Office of Student Life

Counseling Services


K-State Police Department

Information for Faculty and Staff

What to Do if You are Approached for Help

As a member of the Kansas State University faculty or staff, you are placed in a position of leadership and trust by many in the K-State community. You may be seen as a teacher, mentor and an advisor. As a result, you are in the position of being able to offer help and advice to those who approach you. In addition to the guidelines on Supporting a Victim/Survivor, here are some suggestions to help someone cope with sexual assault:

  • Encourage him or her to get medical attention, even if there are no apparent injuries.
  • Suggest he or she contact a local crisis service. These services can provide support and may be able to send a trained representative to be with the individual through the entire process.
  • Advise him or her to discuss concerns with a counselor if the individual is struggling with emotional or psychological issues. 
  • Encourage her or him to file a report by contacting the police
  • Listen. This individual came to you for help and support in a difficult time. Be nonjudgmental and try to help him or her or refer the individual to people who can help.
  • Don't promise total confidentiality. Only a counselor or certified health professional can promise total confidentiality. 
  • Be understanding about absences. A student who has experienced sexual assault may miss classes for medical procedures, investigation meetings or stress.  Encourage students to communicate with the Office of the Student Life or you about missing class.
  • Understand that a student may be unwilling to return to your class due to the presence of an attacker. If necessary, the University will assist the student in making reasonable efforts to avoid contact with an alleged attacker(s) by adjusting workplace or academic arrangements and/or, in the case of a student, campus living arrangements.
  • Don't bring both parties together to attempt to resolve the issue. You should provide the necessary route for help by suggesting who the individual can contact, but do not attempt any mediation or conflict resolution on your own.
  • Report suspected sexual assault against children. Under Kansas, teachers, school administrators or other employees of an educational institution which the child is attending must report any suspected sexual assault against children, child abuse and child neglect to the appropriate authorities. (K.S.A. 38-2223 pdf) 

Reporting Process for Responsible Employees

While the University encourages all campus community members to report incidents of harassment or discrimination, several classifications of employees have been identified as "mandated reporters" for Title IX purposes. These employees have authority and responsibility to take action to remedy harassment.

There are two categories of Responsible Employees: administrative and supervisory.

Administrative responsible employees are management-level personnel. This typically includes department and unit heads, directors, and equal or higher ranking administrators. Administrative responsible employees must report all potential Prohibited Conduct in any University program or activity, regardless of their personal supervisory responsibilities. 

Supervisory responsible employees are personnel with authority over other employees (such as day-to-day management of employee tasks, or hiring and firing responsibility) or with authority over a particular University environment (such as responsibility for a classroom or floor of a residence hall). Supervisory responsible employees are only required to make reports to the Office of Institutional Equity, or OIE, within their area of supervisory responsibility, but they are strongly encouraged to report all potential Prohibited Conduct of which they might be aware. For example, if a professor who controls a classroom or lab learns about potential Prohibited Conduct within the classroom or lab, then the professor must report the conduct to OIE. Similarly, a Residential Assistant in a residence hall must report any potential Prohibited Conduct in that hall. University employees who are unclear about their area of supervisory responsibility should contact their immediate supervisors.

Faculty and staff who wish to report Title IX incidents may do so online or in person to the Title IX Coordinator or Deputy Title IX Coordinators.

If You Have Been Sexually Assaulted

  • Seek medical care as soon as possible, even if you don't have any apparent injuries. For more on what to expect during a post-sexual assault exam, visit the seeking medical care page.
  • Contact the police to report the assault. For more to expect while filing a police report, visit the contacting the police page.


*Web content on this page was borrowed with permission from Purdue University.