Fairchild Hall

Photograph of Fairchild Hall

Show Fairchild Hall on campus map
Interactive campus map

Fairchild Hall contains the Graduate School, Research and Sponsored Programs, International Programs and the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Building offices

History

The stately Fairchild Hall was built in 1894 for a cost of $70,000. A minor addition came in 1903 with the construction of a second story on the building's southern end. It was originally used as the Library and Agricultural Science Hall, until that moved to the north wing of Farrell Library in 1927. Then, for a time, Fairchild Hall housed the Departments of Entomology, Geology, Zoology, History and Government, featuring exhibits of animals, birds and insects native to the region. The building's namesake is George T. Fairchild, third president of what was then Kansas State College. A bronze bust sits in front of Fairchild Hall to commemorate William Alexander Harris, former U.S. representative and senator from Kansas.