Postdoctoral Research Associate
Kansas Lipidomics Research Center
Division of Biology
Kansas State University
509 Ackert Hall, Manhattan, KS, USA 66506-4901
Office: (785) 532-5756
Lab: (785) 532-5756
Fax: (785) 532-6653
Ph.D. 2005, Analytical Chemistry, Uppsala University, Uppsala,Sweden.
M.S. 2003, Analytical Chemistry, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
B.S. 1997, Chemistry, University of Asmara, Asmara, Eritrea.
Lipidomics is a rapidly expanding research field in which multiple techniques are utilized to quantitate the hundreds of chemically distinct lipids in cells and determine the molecular mechanism through which they facilitate cellular function. It is also important in the understanding of functional implications and profiling of lipid abnormalities that could be used as a potential biomarker for possible disorder. One feature of complex lipids is that many subtypes of these molecules exist as a diverse mixture in a biological sample. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of these closely related molecules require sensitive and specific analytical methods to detect intact lipid molecules and to differentiate between them. Electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry (ESI-MS/MS) is sensitive, accurate and powerful technique for full characterization of cellular lipids. In my research I use direct infusion ESI-MS/MS for characterization and quantification of intact lipid molecular species from complex biological matrix. My main responsibilities and research topic at Kansas Lipidomics Research Center includes:
1. Moreau R.A., Doehlert D.C., Welti R., Isaac G., Roth M., Tamura P. and Nuňez A. “The identification of mono-, di-, tri and tetragalactosyldiacylglycerol and their natural estolides in oat kernels” Submitted, Lipids.
2. Maeda H., L. Sage T.L., Isaac G., Welti R., and DellaPenna D. “Tocopherols Modulate Extra-Plastidic Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Metabolism in Arabidopsis at Low Temperature” In Press, Plant Cell.
3. Botté C., Saïdani N., Mondragon R., Gonzales S., Isaac G., Mui E., McLeod R., Dubremetz J-F., Vial H., Welti R., Cesbron-Delauw M-F., Mercier C. and Maréchal1 E. “Subcellular localization and dynamics of a digalactolipid-like epitope in Toxoplasma gondii” J. Lipid Res. 2008, 49, 746-762.
4. Welti R., Mui E., Sparks A., Wernimont S., Isaac G., Kirisits M., Roth M., Roberts C., Botte C., Marechal E. and McLeod R. “Lipidomic analysis of T. gondii reveals unusual polar lipids”. BioChem. 2007, 46, 13882-13890.
5. Yang W., Devaiah S.P., Pan X., Isaac G., Welti R., and Wang X. “AtPLAI is an acyl hydrolase involved in basal Jasmonic acid production and Arabidopsis resistance to botrytis cinereai”J. Biol. Chem., 2007, 282, 18116-18128.
6. Welti R., Isaac G., Tamura P., Esch S.W.1, Sparks A., Jeannotte R., Roth M., Maatta S., Williams T.D., Shah J., and Wang X. “Lipid profiling: Analysis of gene function and physiological responses in Arabidopsis”.ISPL., 2007, 287-291.
7. Isaac G., Jeannotte R., Esch S.W., Welti R. “New mass spectrometry based strategies for lipids”. Gen. Eng. Rev., 2007, 28, 129-157. ISSN: 0196-3716.
8. Isaac G., Fredriksson A., Danielsson R., Eriksson P. and Bergquist J. “Brain lipid composition in postnatal iron-induced motor behavior alterations following chronic neuroleptic administration in mice: Characterization using liquid chromatography electrospray ionization”. FEBS Journal, 2006, 273, 2232-2243.
9. Isaac G., Pernber Z., Gieselmann V., Hansson E., Bergquist J. and Månson J.E. “Sulfatide with short fatty acid dominates in astrocytes and neurons”. FEBS Journal, 2006, 273, 1782-1790.
10. Isaac G., Waldebäck M., Eriksson U., Odham G. and Markides K.E. “Total lipid extraction of homogenized and intact lean fish muscle using pressurized fluid extraction and batch extraction techniques”. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005, 53, 5506-5512.
11. Isaac G., Bylund D., Månson J.E., Markides K.E. and Bergquist J. “Analysis of phosphatidylcholine and sphingomyelin molecular species from brain extracts using capillary liquid chromatography electrospray ionization mass spectrometry”. J. Neurosci. Methods, 2003, 128, 111-119.
12. Pihlström T., Isaac G., Waldebäck M., Osterdahl B.G. and Markides K.E. “Pressurized fluid extraction (PFE) as an alternative general method for determination of pesticide residues in rape seed”. Analyst, 2002, 127, 554-559.
|Copyright 2005 @ Kansas Lipidomics Research Center , Kansas State University.Website design by Prashanth Palakollu.|