HandsOn Kansas State
HandsOn Kansas State promotes civic learning and leadership through meaningful volunteer and service opportunities between campus and community. HandsOn strives to develop socially responsible citizens knowledgeably equipped for active participation.
Annually, HandsOn creates and implements specific Days of Services to heighten civic awareness. Our 9/11 Day of Service is a mobile food distribution in conjunction with Harvester's of Topeka; over 250 hungry family/individuals attended in 2013 to receive nutritious, fresh produce. As the resource center for all people service-minded, HandsOn Student Program Coordinators are available to sit down one-on-one to discuss interests, assist in finding organization contacts, and any other service-learning training needed to establish your volunteer opportunity. Student groups looking to understand volunteer management are also eligible to receive training for the improvement of their service events.
Furniture Amnesty Day
The time is upon us once more! On behalf of the City of Manhattan, the Konza United Way, and the Staley School of Leadership Studies at Kansas State, we hope you'll share the word about Furniture Amnesty Day, July 29th at Baker Field in City Park.
Here is a little information about the day:
1. We will be in the park ready for furniture drop-offs and to pick-up furniture throughout the city at 7:00 AM on July 29th.
2. For individuals and families interested in picking up furniture, we will be using a wristband system so that participants can sign-up for a specific time to pick out furniture in the afternoon.
a. We will begin distributing wristbands on a first come, first served basis at 8:00 AM at Baker Field in the City Park.
b. Furniture selection will begin with a 12:00 PM time-slot and continue throughout the afternoon in 15 minute increments.
3. If you have furniture to drop off, the drop off zone in Baker Field will be open at 7:00 AM.
4. We will also be picking up from homes around town. To learn more about how to have your gently used furniture picked up and donated to Furniture Amnesty Day, please visit:http://cityofmhk.com/2715/Furniture-Amnesty-Day
5. We have also reserved a time from 11:30 – 12:00 for individuals who are able to come with their case-worker or for case-workers who would like to select furniture on behalf of clients locally. From 11:30 – 12:00 the selection area will be open for these groups. If you think this may be something you can share, please do. Additionally, if you might be able to benefit, or have others who would, from this option, please contact me, Trish Gott or the Konza United Way email@example.com so that we can have space reserved for you.
We recognize that this is by no means a comprehensive list of organizations, student groups, individuals, or others who should know about this day –please help us out by sharing this announcement with others in the City of Manhattan who would be interested or could help us spread the word.