HEALTH INSURANCE FAQs
- Do I need health insurance?
Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students on F and J visas enrolled at Kansas State University, regardless of their course load.
- How do I enroll for the K-State endorsed health insurance plan?
Upon registering for courses each semester, all international students on F and J visas will be automatically enrolled for health insurance coverage with United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR). The enrollment fee for this health insurance will be automatically assessed to each international student’s tuition bill.
- I already have health insurance and do not wish to purchase health insurance from Kansas State, what can I do to remove the charges from my account?
You will need to make sure that the alternative plan fulfills ALL minimum requirements set by the Kansas Board of Regents. After confirming adequate coverage you will need to fill out the waiver form. This must be done BEFORE the deadline for each semester.
- What is the health insurance waiver form?
Once an international student enrolls for classes, he or she is automatically charged a health insurance fee on his or her KSIS account. The health insurance waiver form is used by students who do not wish to purchase the K-State endorsed health insurance plan. The waiver form is verification that you have purchased alternative, qualifying health insurance coverage. The waiver form must be submitted before the waiver deadline each semester. If the waiver is approved, the insurance charge will be removed from your account.
- I am a GTA/GRA/GA, do I need to fill out the waiver form?
Graduate students who have a .5 GTA/GRA/GA (or any combination of the three to equal .5) appointment and wish to purchase the UHCSR Graduate Student coverage must enroll online. It is your responsibility to enroll in the health insurance. For information on accessing the online enrollment for the GTA/GRA/GA health insurance, please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/health/gradhealth.html.
Graduate students who enroll and submit payment for the GTA/GRA/GA health insurance plan DO NOT have to fill out the waiver form and will have the fee removed from your tuition account. This should happen within 5 business days of when you submit payment to United Healthcare.
- I am a GTA/GRA/GA, I have not received the link to pay for health insurance. What do I do?
GTA/GRA/GA health insurance enrollment is managed by Human Capital Services. Please contact them for any GTA/GRA/GA health insurance questions.
- I am a student with Go Teachers program; do I need to fill out the waver form?
No, students with Go Teachers Program do not need to fill out a waiver form. ISSS will work directly with the International Program Manager in Global Campus to remove the health insurance fee from your tuition account.
- I am a sponsored student and I already have insurance from my sponsor (government, embassy, and other parties). Do I need to fill out the waiver form?
All sponsored students are REQUIRED to fill out the waiver form. The health insurance fee will not be removed if the waiver form is not submitted before the deadline.
- Where can I find the health insurance waiver form?
The form is accessible through student's KSIS accounts once you have enrolled in classes for the current semester. Please login to your KSIS account with your eID and password. Then go to ‘Student Center’ page. The form is located in the dropdown menu under ‘Finances’ section.
- How long will it take to have the fee removed from my account once I submit the waiver?
After you submit the waiver, please allow at least 5 business days for the fee to be removed from your account.
- How will I know the waiver was approved?
Please login to your KSIS account with your eID and password. Then go to ‘Student Center’ page. Go to the ‘Finances’ section and choose ‘Account Activity’. If your waiver has been approved, you will see a payment on your account for the health insurance charges. Please allow 5 business days from the time you submitted the waiver form to see the chances.