Employee Self Service Instructions
You can do and see a lot in HRIS/Employee Self Service, select a topic to learn more.
Please note the following:
- The State of Kansas Employee Self Service Center is not the same as K-State Self Service and does not use the K-State eID and password.
- If you have trouble accessing HRIS/Employee Self Service contact the K-State IT Help Desk
- Never share your password with anyone.
- After viewing Self Service data, please select "Sign Out" before closing your browser.
Viewing and Changing Personal Information (Address, Marital Status, Ethnicity, etc.)
You may review and update your address, phone number(s), emergency contacts, marital status and ethnic group (s) in Personal Information Summary. Please note: employees are encouraged to keep emergency contact information up to date to ensure that the department or Human Capital Services may promptly respond to a medical emergency. If changes are needed, select the corresponding yellow button.
Go to: Employee Self Service > Personal Information > Personal Information Summary
This page represents your primary job information that will be printed in the Campus Phone Book and that will display online in the K-State People Directory. Please submit discrepancies to your department personnel specialist.
Go To: Employee Self Service > View Work Information
View Paycheck via PDF
Paycheck information is available via HRIS/Employee Self Service the Monday prior to a payday.
Go to: Employee Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Paycheck
Select the desired check date link. Note: the Pop-Up Blocker needs to be turned off to view a paycheck PDF file.
The most recent on-cycle paycheck will be the first check listed unless a paycheck has been adjusted. Adjusted paychecks will display the pay period end date in which the adjustment was processed.
View Paycheck Data:
The top sections include:
- Pay Group
- Pay Begin Date
- Pay End Date
- Business Unit (KSUNV for all K-State employees)
- Advice #
- Advice Date
- Employee ID
- Department ( Department ID and Name)
- Job Title
- Pay Rate
Tax Data (Federal/KS State from W-4 & K-4)
- Marital Status
- Additional Pct
- Additional Amt
Hours and Earnings:
- Description (Regular Earnings, Holiday Credit, Vacation Leave, Etc.)
- Current Hours
- YTD Earnings
- Fed Withholding (Federal Income Tax Withholding)
- Fed MED/EE (Employees share of Medicare)
- Fed OASDI/EE (Employees share of Social Security)
- KS Withholding (Kansas Income Tax Withholding)
- Before Tax Deductions (Description, Current, YTD Year-to-Date)
- After-Tax Deductions (Description, Current, YTD Year-to-Date)
- Employer Paid Benefits (Description, Current, YTD Year-to-Date)
Current and YTD (Year-to-Date) for the most recent on-cycle check:and Taxes:
- Total Gross
- Federal Taxable Gross
- Total Taxes
- Total Deductions
- Net Pay
The Total Taxes includes Social Security, Medicare, Federal and State Withholdings.
The Total Deductions includes all before and after tax deductions.
Leave Balances (Year-to-Date, Paid Time Off, Sick Leave)
- Start Balance
- Bought (Not applicable)
- Sold (Not applicable)
- End Balances
Net Pay Distribution
- Payment Type (Advice, Direct Deposit or Check)
- Account Type (Checking or Savings)
- Account Number(s)
- Deposit Amount(s)
If you have questions regarding your pay information, please contact your department personnel specialist.
W-4 and/or K-4 Tax Information
Go To: Employee Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > W-4 and/or K4 Tax Information
- New employees may submit their W-4 and/or K-4 information via HRIS/Employee Self Service after receipt of the "Welcome to K-State" email. When claiming Single with 0 (zero) allowances, no action is required.
- Employees who have tax withheld for a state other than Kansas will not be able to update the State portion of Employee Self-Service. These employees will need to contact the Payroll office at (785) 532-6277 for additional instructions. Employees who maintain a visa will continue to submit paper W-4 form or K-4 forms.
- To ensure W-4 and/or K-4 tax changes will be reflected on the next pay check, update information on the pay day (Friday) prior to the next pay check. Ex: Make changes on Friday, October 24, for the pay check to be received on November 7.
Explanation of W-4 and/or K-4 Tax Information
Update W-4 Tax Information: Displays your name, the last four digits of your social security number and the company in which your position is located. If you work for more than one company, there will be a line that states: For W-4 associated with a different company, select Company.
Home Address: Displays your Home Address which is where your W-2 will be mailed.
W-4 and/or K-4 Tax Data: Displays the number of allowances, additional amount for withholding, marital status you are currently claiming and links to the tax forms. To change your withholding:
- Select Marital Status for W-4: Single or Married or select Married but withhold at higher single rate. For K-4: select Single or Joint.
- Enter the number of allowances and/or additional withholding amount for W-4 and/or the K-4.
Claim Exemption: Displays exempt from withholding statement and criteria for both the W-4 and the K-4. To claim exempt from tax withholding:
- Read the Claim Exemption section statements to determine if you meet the conditions to be exempt from federal and/or state tax withholding. If you determine you are eligible to claim exempt from federal and/or state tax withholding, select "Check Exempt here" boxes.
Submit: Displays a statement to read and agree to before submitting your tax changes.
Verify Identity: After clicking ’Submit‘ a verification page will ask for your password, type your password and select ’Continue‘ or ’Cancel.‘
Save Confirmation: A confirmation page will display and tell you that your change to your tax withholding may not affect the next paycheck you receive.
An e-mail will be sent to you with the following information, please review it carefully:
- Your employee ID number
- Your Name
- You submitted W-4 data via the Web on (date you changed the information) and/or you have submitted K-4 data via the web on ( date you changed the information).
- Marital Status : the status you claimed (Single, Married or Married, but withhold at higher Single rate)
- No. of Allowances : the number of allowances you claimed
- Additional Amount: any additional dollar amount you designated
- Exempt Status: N or Y
- Employer: the company you work for (State of Kansas, K-State Student Union, Athletics, or Student Publications)
For information regarding Employee Self-Service W-4 and/or K-4 Tax Information, please contact Anna Carroll at (785) 532-6277.
Allows you to view current leave accrual balances, service date, beginning leave balances, hours earned, hours taken and ending leave balances for the current pay period.
Go to: Employee Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Leave Balances
Company: the Company in which you are employed (State of Kansas (SOK), Student Publications (PUB), Athletics (ATH) and the K-State Student Union (KUN)).
Service Date: your length of service, including time worked in university support staff or unclassified positions, it does not include temporary non-benefits eligible appointments or student appointments. Dates are re-calculated when an employee has a break in service, including periods of leave without pay greater than 30 days. This date is a factor in leave accrual and longevity bonuses for university support staff. It is also a factor in leave payouts upon retirement and the calculation of layoff scores.
Years/Months/Days: your State service broken down by Years, Months and Days.
Plan Type: each plan type is listed separately: Sick, Vacation, Comp Time, Holiday Comp Time and Discretionary Day. For Discretionary Day, only the description will display (no hours) and it will only display if the discretionary day has not been used for the current year.
Beginning Balance: your leave balance at the beginning of the pay period indicated. This is your balance prior to leave earned and used for that pay period.
Hrs Earned: number of hours earned during the pay period. Leave earnings are based on service date and/or hours worked or upon FTE.
Hrs Taken: number of hours taken/used during the pay period. This information will come from pay sheets/pay records.
Ending Balance: this is: Beginning Balance + Hours Earned - Hours Used + or - Adjustments for the pay period indicated. These are the hours available for you to use for each type of leave. (Leave must be approved in advance by your supervisor.)
Note: The information displayed on the View Leave Accrual Balances page is for the pay period indicated and is updated on a bi-weekly basis.
You may review your Medical/Prescription, Dental, Vision, Supplemental Life, TEA Life, Flex Spending, and retirement plan coverage or participation.
Go to: Employee Self Service > Benefits > Benefits Summary
Total Compensation Summary
This allows employees to view a summary of their direct and indirect compensation based upon information from the Human Resources Information System (HRIS).
- Direct compensation: Pay received for hours worked, holidays, leave, etc.
- Indirect compensation: Contributions by the University on behalf of the employee for insurance, retirement and employer required taxes.
Includes salary, health insurance, life insurance, retirement, other benefits, and tax contributions for a given calendar year.
The summary does not replace W-2 forms or other income tax related information and is not intended for use in tax preparation.
Go To: Employee Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > View > Total Compensation Summary
Read the information on this page carefully before proceeding to the Total Compensation Summary page.
Life Insurance Summary
Allows employees to view supplemental life insurance coverage amounts. Coverage amounts on this page do not reflect the 150% basic term life insurance every benefits eligible State employee receives at no cost. This page displays supplemental life insurance.
Go To: Employee Self Service > Benefits > Life Insurance Summary
Learning & Development
Allows employees to enroll in KSU training opportunities coordinated by the Division of Human Resources, Training, Hale Library and other departments via HRIS/Employee Self Service.
If applicable, please secure supervisor's permission before enrolling.
Go To: Employee Self-Service > Learning and Development > KSU Training Enrollment
A list of training opportunities will appear. Select the “View Available Sessions link or enter a full or partial course name in the search box for a list of matching courses. (i.e., FIS, HRIS, Performance Review, etc.)
The following session information will appear (i.e., session date, session number, location, start time, duration, open seats and waitlisted). Click the desired session number to view session details.Session details will appear. Click on "Continue" to begin the enrollment process.
To submit the enrollment request, click on the "Submit" button.
Comment: (Optional) Enter comments, if applicable.
Note: Comments are optional, and will appear within e-mail registration confirmation sent to you, your supervisor, department personnel specialist and Learning & Development staff.
After clicking on Submit, a Registration Confirmation will be sent to you, your supervisor and your department personnel specialist via e-mail from email@example.com
If you have questions regarding your enrollment status, please contact Learning & Development at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, employee ID, course title, course code, and course session number.
This allow employees to view a listing of the training they have completed through their department, Learning & Development, and the Division of Human Resources.
Go To: Employee Self Service > Learning and Development > Training Summary
A listing of the training sessions you have completed appears.
If you have questions regarding this information, please contact your department personnel specialist.
eTime Entry for Student Employees
The eTime Entry page in HRIS/Employee Self Service replaces the paper time document for student employees and allows on-line entry each day, week, or pay period. To record time worked on-line, follow these steps:
Go To: Employee Self Service > Time Reporting > Time Entry
- Enter actual hours worked each day, week, or pay period.
- After recording hours, click on
Save for Later (allows further access to add and/or update hours)
Submit for Approval (time entry complete - no further access to add and/or update hours).
eTime Approval Process For Supervisors
As a designated supervisor, you will receive an e-mail message after your student employee(s) completes and submits their eTime document for approval. The eTime Document replaces the paper time document, allows student employees to enter time on-line, and automates workflow (e-mail notification) for the approval process.
To approve or reject eTime entry:
Go To: Manager Self Service > Time Management > Approval List
- Select Department Supervisor (yourself or another department supervisor), if appropriate
- To Approve Hours
- turn on the Approve All check box, or
- turn on the Approved check box for each employee, or
- click on the EmplID (Employee ID) to view the eTime document for the employee.
- Note: Those with no hours reported cannot be approved check box will appear grey.
- After approving hours, an e-mail notification from HRIS will be sent to the employee and the supervisor and the hours will be automatically forwarded to begin the paycheck process.
- To Reject Hours
- click on the EmplID to view the eTime document and select the reject button to identify the reason.
- After rejecting hours, an e-mail notification from HRIS will be sent to the employee and the supervisor indicating the needed adjustment. The employee will be responsible for making the adjustment and resubmitting for approval prior to the on-line entry deadline.
- Select Save and Sign Out
Please approve time entry for your student employees each pay period prior to 5:00 p.m. on the Monday following pay period end date for a timely paycheck.
After supervisor is selected, employees who report to selected supervisor will appear and those who have completed and submitted their eTime document for approval will appear with recorded hours.
If an employee does not appear on the approval list or approval needs to be processed after the deadline, please contact your department personnel specialist for instructions.