Cashiers Office
Kansas State University
211 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-6454 fax

Tuition FAQ’s

1. How are the Tuition Surcharges (Bus Adm. and Eng.) used?
Students taking College of Business Administration and/or College of Engineering courses will pay a per credit hour Tuition Surcharge (for those courses only). This revenue will be used to try to retain current outstanding faculty or attract high quality replacements.
2. I am not a Business or Engineering major, why do I have to pay the Surcharge?
All students who take courses in the College of Business Administration or the College of Engineering must pay the per credit hour Tuition Surcharge, regardless of the student's academic major. The surcharge will be used to try to keep valued faculty from accepting competitive offers from other schools or the private sector.
3. What is the difference between the Engineering Tuition Surcharge and the Engineering Equipment Fee?
The revenue from the Engineering Tuition Surcharge (a per credit hour for any College of Engineering course) will be used to retain valued College of Engineering faculty and attract high quality replacements. The revenue from the Engineering Equipment Fee (a per credit hour for any College of Engineering course) will be used to buy classroom equipment for the College of Engineering in order to benefit instruction so that students can receive the quality of education that the workplace of today and tomorrow demands. There is also an Equipment Fee (a per credit hour) charged for those enrolled in the College of Architecture, Planning and Design courses.
4. What is a Need Based Tuition Waiver?
Need Based Tuition Waiver is financial aid. Approximately 22% of the anticipated revenue generated from tuition increases is being earmarked for Need Based Tuition Waivers, and the Office of Student Financial Assistance is responsible for awarding this based on need identified from financial aid applications.
5. What are Campus Privilege Fees?
Campus Privilege Fees provide students with services, activities and supplemental educational opportunities tailored to fulfill their academic and personal goals. These are required to be paid by all students and are assessed at a set rate for the first credit hour and an additional amount for each additional credit hour. Examples of campus organizations receiving funds: KSDB Radio, Student Publications, K-State Student Union, Recreational Services, Athletic Department, Office of Student Activities and Services (SGA) and Lafene Health Center.
6. Why does tuition continue to increase?
State funding has not kept pace with university needs. President Schulz is committed to make K-State nationally competitive in our ability to attract and retain the very best professors and to give them the tools and technology to make the educational experience of our students second to none. Even with these increases, K-State remains one of the best educational values in the nation. We are among the least expensive of all Big 12 universities in tuition and fee charges.
7. Why do the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture, Planning and Design have a special equipment fee?
An Equipment Fee was established to help assure a quality education for students by using the revenue generated to purchase and maintain equipment for instructional and research programs in the College of Engineering and the College of Architecture, Planning and Design.
8. Does the University accept credit cards as payment for tuition and fees?
Budget pressures forced the University to look seriously at eliminating the acceptance of credit cards as a payment for student accounts due to the high costs involved in accepting credit cards. Since the University is interested in providing as many convenient payment options as possible, Kansas State has contracted with Informed Decisions Corporation to provide CASHNet SMARTPAY service for the acceptance of credit card via the web for tuition and fees at Kansas State University. There is a service charge paid by the student to Informed Decisions for making payments using the CASHNet SMARTPAY service.
9. Why doesn't the CASHNet SMARTPAY service allow us to pay by Visa?
Currently Visa does not allow a business to charge a fee for processing credit cards. Therefore, Informed Decisions Corporation is unable to provide Visa as a payment option.
10. Do I have to pay in full or can I make payments on my student account?
Kansas State University does provide a Tuition Installment Payment Plan to allow students to make payments on current semester tuition at the beginning of each term. There is an application that must be completed and a fee for utilizing this service.
11. When are student accounts due?
All payments must be made in full no later than 3:00 p.m. on the 15th of the month following initial billing to avoid a 1.5% Default Charge. Holds will be placed on all delinquent accounts, which will not allow a student to drop or add classes, receive a transcript or diploma or enroll for additional courses
12. I made a payment online. When will my account balance reflect the payment?
Typically this would be immediately, but due to system maintenance payments may not be credited until the next business day.This is a very rare occurance.
13. Will my financial aid be applied towards all of the charges on my account?
As a general rule, the Cashier's Office will only apply credit from financial aid towards tuition, fees and housing charges. Once these charges have been credited, the Cashier's Office will release any excess funds in the form of a refund check, or thorough direct deposit. The student is then responsible for any miscellaneous charges that appear on the University account.
14. What happens if I pay my bill late?
Your statement of account will provide the total amount you owe. If the total amount due is not paid by the due date, the account will be assessed a 1.5% late fee of the total due per month.
15. Why do I have a hold on my account?
A hold on a students account could be there for several reasons and many different departments can put a hold on the account. When looking at the student account, the information will show what the amount owed is from and the student can be told why it is there. If the student has a hold, they will not be able to enroll for the next semester until the hold is lifted either by paying the balance due or by having one of the supervisors look at the account and talk to the student to temporarily remove the hold.
16. What are these DCE charges?
DCE is the Division of Continuing Education. DCE works with the colleges to deliver courses and programs to non-traditional students primarily through distance education, Evening College, and Intersession. Some costs for these courses and programs are not covered in the general university budget, so additional fees are assessed to help meet those costs.
17. What are my options for paying my bill?
You can pay on-line with a check or credit card through iSIS or . The credit cards accepted are VISA, Master Card, Discover, and American Express and will be assessed a 2.9% fee.
18. What is a sponsored student?
A student having their tuition paid for by military, another country, athletics, other departments, employers, employee benefits, and school districts, etc.
19. I need a receipt for my tuition.
A receipt can be typed for students needing this for proof of their insurance company, employee reimbursement, scholarships, or if their country is paying their tuition.
20. Why won't you give me information regarding my childs account? I pay the bill!
The Federal law called the Federal Educational Rights to Privacy ACT (FERPA) requires that a student's financial records are private and confidential. The cashiers Office is required to secure written authorization from the student prior to release of the information contained in these records. We recommend you take advantage of the Designated Access program which will allow students to setup access for parents and others view financial information.  Setting up Designated Access will also allow us to speak freely with the Designee about the student account information.  You can learn more about Designated access at The student must set up the Designee before our we can release any information.