University Distinguished Professor / Graduate Faculty
Ph.D. 1997, Vanderbilt University
Philip Nel's books include:
- Crockett Johnson's Barnaby Volume Two: 1944-1945 (co-edited with Eric Reynolds, Fantagraphics, 2014)
- Crockett Johnson's Barnaby Volume One: 1942-1943 (co-edited with Eric Reynolds, Fantagraphics, 2013)
- Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss: How an Unlikely Couple Found Love, Dodged the FBI, and Transformed Children's Literature (University Press of Mississippi, 2012)
- Keywords for Children's Literature (co-edited with Lissa Paul, NYU Press, 2011)
- Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature (co-edited with Julia Mickenberg, NYU Press, 2008)
- The Annotated Cat: Under the Hats of Seuss and His Cats (Random House, 2007)
- Dr. Seuss: American Icon (Continuum, 2004)
- The Avant-Garde and American Postmodernity: Small Incisive Shocks (University Press of Mississippi, 2002)
- J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter Novels: A Reader's Guide (Continuum, 2001).
Forthcoming: The next three volumes of Crockett Johnson's Barnaby (co-edited with Eric Reynolds, Fantagraphics, 2015-2017). Crockett Johnson's Magic Beach, with an Afterword by Nel and an Appreciation by Maurice Sendak, was published in 2005. Nel is also the author of over two dozen essays, which can be found in a range of venues. See his CV for details.
Nel is Director of the English Department's Program in Children's Literature. He has won KSU's Distinguished Graduate Faculty Award, and Stamey Award (for excellence in teaching). He maintains a blog, and serves as webmaster for the Crockett Johnson Homepage, and (with Naomi Wood & others) the website you're visiting now.