1. K-State home
  2. »ELP
  3. »Apply
  4. »K-State Fast

English Language Program


K-State Fast

Three ways to prepare yourself for academic success and accelerate your journey to a degree.

Three ways to save time and money.

Do one, two or all three if you meet the requirements.

If your TOEFL scores are below 79 or your IELTS is below 6.5, you can be admitted to a degree program and learn English before starting your academic classes.  Yes, you can get admission to your degree program without proof of language proficiency!

K-State Fast Start:

Know what classes you'll take before you arrive
Send your TOEFL or IELTs scores to Kansas State University and: 
  • You will know your study plan for the first year BEFORE you arrive.
  • You can be admitted based on your high school transcripts.
  • You do not have to wait until you have passing IBT scores.
  • You will not have to take our English Proficiency Test when you arrive.


iBT  Scores

IELTS  Scores

First Semester Classes

Second Semester Classes

Part scores: 16-19

Total score:  64-78


Part Scores: 6.0-6.5

Total Score:  6.0

Part-time Exit Level English classes + University classes  

Full-time University classes


Part scores: 14-15

Total score:  56-63

Part Scores: 6.0

Total Score:  6.0

Full-time Exit Level English classes

Full-time University classes

Part scores: 11-13

Total score:  48-52

Part Scores: 5.5

Total Score:  5.5

Full- time Intermediate English II classesFull-time Exit Level English classes


1 + 1:

Use your English classes for University credit in your degree program
Save time and money by using your English classes toward your undergraduate degree. For most degrees, you can earn academic credits for your degree in our English Language Program classes. Your department will decide how many of your English class credits to use toward your degree.


English Credits Applied to Your Degree


15 credits

Arts & Sciences

15 credits


15-21 credits

Human Ecology

2-15 credits

Gap Year:

Start studying before you get your diploma

If you have completed your high school coursework but do not have your diploma, you can begin your career at K-State early.  You need to have:

  • A transcript showing all of your High School coursework.
  • A letter from your school saying that you have completed all of your coursework for your high school diploma.
  • A GPA of 2.5.