Part-time job tips
To Work or Not to Work?
The multiple demands of classes, activities, and work can be stressful. Consider the following tips:
- Explore opportunities for exposure and experience in a career interest area.
- Begin with fewer hours to allow adjustment to college and a new schedule.
- Put academics first and commit to work hours you know you can manage.
- Seek positions that will build references and professional contacts.
- Seek employers who offer flexible hours and will support your commitment to your academics.
Where to Look for a Part-Time Job
Find openings on-campus and in the community by activating your CES account.
Each K-State department manages its own hiring. If you are interested in working in a certain department, contact that department directly to learn about potential opportunities. You may also want to consider applying directly with some of the largest on-campus employers:
- Housing and Dining Services has 800 student positions (students, staff, receptionists, mail clerks, food service workers, custodians, and painters). Email email@example.com or call (785) 532-6453.
- Bramlage Coliseum hires 350 students (ushers, ticket takers, security staff, clean-up workers, and stage hands). Stop by Bramlage office to apply or call (785) 532-7600.
- K-State Student Union employs 350 students (food court, catering, bookstore, recreation, and maintenance). Call (785) 532-6577 for information.
- Facilities employs 150 students (moving, hauling, grounds). Apply at 109 Dykstra Hall or call (785) 532-6373.
- Hale Library has 50-60 student positions (general clerical, patron service, computer support, shelving books and reference support). Visit the libraries website for further information, a current job listing, and an online application.
- Animal Sciences hires 155 student employees (dairy barn, dairy plant, research barns, and taking care of animals). Information available on wall outside room 134, Weber Hall.
- Department of Biology employs 150 students. Apply at Room 232 Ackert Hall or call (785) 532-6615.
- Department of Agronomy hires 100 student employees (lab workers, mowing, painting, and field work). Applications available in Room 2004 Throckmorton Hall or call (785) 532-6101.
- Information Technology Services employs 85 students (office assistants, help desk staff, application developers, and other technology positions). Go to http://www.k-state.edu/its/employment for additional information.
K-State students also find employment in a wide variety of organizations in the greater Manhattan, Kansas area. Some places to consider include:
- Discount and grocery stores
- Manhattan Town Center
- Businesses in Aggieville and the Downtown Business District
- Child care organizations
- Convenience shops
- Medical offices
- Insurance companies
- Landscaping and construction