ACIC is a career development office established for students and operated by students. As you come to ACIC to explore majors and careers, it is likely a graduate student or peer Career Specialist will assist you in the process. If you are interested, see below for details.
Graduate students interested in completing an assistantship or practicum experience with ACIC should contact our office via phone (785-532-7494) to discuss opportunities.
Peer Career Specialists
Career Specialists are undergraduate students trained as paraprofessionals to work in a peer counseling role assisting students individually in the career planning process. They guide students through career assessments and assist them in connecting career goals with academic programs at K-State.
Typically, there are 12-15 Career Specialists on staff. This team directly serves more than 1,500 K-State students annually and delivers a crucial service to the K-State community which supports both student retention and recruitment. Career Specialists must have strong helping and communication skills.
Career Specialists also facilitate Academic/Career Decisions, EDCEP 120, a one-credit hour career planning class. In addition, Career Specialists are responsible for coordinating and administering many ACIC programs and activities including outreach presentations and assisting with the annual Majors, Minors, and More Fair.
- Undergraduate student with a minimum of 30 credit hours completed
- Satisfactory academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- A team worker with solid communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; must display initiative
- Knowledge of computer operations and applications
- Willingness to facilitate career-planning classes
- Time commitment of at least 8 hours per week
- Starting salary: $7.25
- Average hours per week: 10-15
- Must attend an orientation meeting to receive an application
*Hiring begins in January of the spring semester each year. Be sure to check this page as that time comes closer for additional information and orientation meeting times