March 10, 2022
Severe Weather Preparedness Week: Flooding
Flood safety and preparedness is important, especially in Manhattan. Remember, a flood or flash flood warning means flooding is happening or about to happen. A flood watch means flooding is possible. To help prepare and be aware, here are some guidelines to follow:
- Find out if your home or business is in a flood plain, where the likeliest place is to flood and learn the fastest route to evacuate if necessary.
- Sign up for local emergency notifications and stay up to date on the weather forecast.
- Create a communication plan with your family, friends and people in your household so you can check on each other.
- Build an emergency kit including food, water, medicine and any other necessary supplies to last you at least three days, in case of an emergency. Include home insurance information, pet supplies and extra phone chargers.
- During the flood, avoid driving or walking through floodwaters and obey any evacuation orders.
For more information, visit ready.gov/floods.