April 21, 2020
Johnson Cancer Research Center publishes 2020 Conquest Magazine
The Johnson Cancer Research Center's 2020 Conquest magazine is now online, with brief, easy-to-read stories showcasing some of the excellent cancer research happening at Kansas State University.
Featured this year are:
- Peying Fong, Doctor of Philosophy, and Jeffrey Comer, Doctor of Philosophy, anatomy and physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, who study how substances — like cancer drugs — penetrate the cell membrane.
- Amir Bahadori, Doctor of Philosophy, mechanical and nuclear engineering, Carl R. Ice College of Engineering, who studies ways to protect people from cancer caused by radiation.
- Jianzhong Yu, Doctor of Philosophy, anatomy and physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, who studies proteins relevant to cell proliferation and tumor growth.
- Mackenzie Thornton, senior in microbiology and pre-medicine, who studies how cancer cells regulate their protein production and thrive in nutrient-stressed environments.
- Katsura Asano, Doctor of Philosophy, biology, College of Arts and Sciences, who studies how alterations in cellular translation can initiate cancer formation.
- Lori Kautzman, Doctor of Medicine, biology alumna who is now a transplant surgeon and supporter of K-State's undergraduate Cancer Research Award program.
- The Frank Alonso family, who organized the "You'll Never Run Alone 5K" in his memory, to raise money for pancreatic cancer research at K-State.