May 2, 2018
Students and faculty recognized by Gamma Sigma Delta
K-State students and staff were recognized at the 2018 Gamma Sigma Delta Undergraduate Research Showcase and Spring Recognition Reception on Friday, April 27.
Twenty-one students working on agriculturally-based projects presented their undergraduate research. Three students were recognized as having the top research presentations: Abigail Friesen, senior in agricultural economics, Colby; Caitlin Dreher, sophomore in agricultural education, Iola; and Chloe Creager, senior in animal sciences and industry, Olpe.
More than 100 Junior Honor Awards were given to students with at least a 3.8 overall K-State GPA who are classified as juniors in the College of Agriculture, College of Veterinary Medicine, biological and agricultural engineering, biochemistry, human nutrition and hotel, restaurant, and institutional management and dietetics.
The following also were award winners:
Outstanding Undergraduate Student Research Award
- Chloe Creager, senior in animal sciences and industry, Olpe.
- Gage Nichols, senior in animal sciences and industry, Russell.
Outstanding Master's Graduate Student Teaching Award
- Garrison Gundy, master's student in agronomy, Halstead.
Outstanding Doctoral Graduate Student Teaching Award
- Tiffany Carter, doctoral student in agronomy, Kansas City, Missouri.
Outstanding Master's Graduate Student Research Award
- Osler Ortez, master's student in agronomy, Nicaragua.
Outstanding Doctoral Graduate Student Research Award
- Guillermo Balboa, doctoral student in agronomy, Argentina.
Faculty and Alumni Early Career Award
- Adam Ahlers, assistant professor of wildlife and outdoors management in the horticulture and natural resources department.
Faculty and Alumni Excellence in Research Award
- Sunghun Park, associate professor of horticulture crop improvement in the horticulture and natural resources department.
Faculty and Alumni Excellence in Extension Award
- Ignacio Ciampitti, associate professor of crop production and cropping systems in the agronomy department.
Faculty and Alumni Outstanding Teacher Award
- Walt Fick, professor of range management in the agronomy department.